Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Upgrade 9iR2 to 10gR2 on different platform
Upgrade 9iR2 to 10gR2 on different platform [message #271688] Tue, 02 October 2007 09:07 Go to next message
barnacle47
I've been googling this so much my eyes look like red rubber balls. I can't seem to find a specific answer to best way to do my impending upgrades. So here goes:

In development, which we want to upgrade first, we have 9.2.0.5 running on Solaris 8 Sparc, on an old Sun E450. The database files themselves, only about 300G, are on a Sun 3511.
Just in time for Halloween, I have been given a Sun 4200 server, x86-64, and have downloaded the 10gR2 files for that platform.

We are under a deadline to ship the E450 back to Sun by Oct. 20th. On that server, we have little free space left on the root volume, which is where my (bleep-bleep) predecessors created the oracle base/home, /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0. (/u01 is not a separate file system). So I am in a bit of a pickle. Normally, I would create a separate home on the E450, install the 10gR2 for Solaris Sparc there, then do a normal migration. Then I would have to figure out how to move that entire thing over to the 4200, which is a completely different platform. However, due to the time and space constraints, I am now planning to simply do a fresh install of Oracle on the 4200, create a "shell" database with the same name (tablespaces, redo logs, etc but no schemas) on a different storage array, and import all of the data from the existing 9iR2 database into the new 10gR2 database. My understanding is that this can be done by using the 9i export utility, and the 10g import utility on the other side. Has anyone done something like this? Any better ideas?

Production will be different. That baby has 2.4 Terabytes used, and the new install will be on the current server. I will simply be creating a second home for 10g there and doing an in-place migration. On that server, /u01 is a separate file system and has enough free space for 10g. However, just to drive me closer to a padded cell, I have also been provided with a new Sun 2540 storage array, and they would like to move all the production datafiles to it and off of the 3511 before we upgrade the database. 2.4 Terabytes, that should be a snap! If anyone has had experience moving 2.4 Terabytes (542 datafiles, another wonderful legacy of my predecessors) from one array to another with minimal downtime, please let me know how you did it. I have asked Unix Ops if some kind of "mirroring" technique could be used utilizing Veritas such that duplicate files systems could be created on the new storage array and "magically" copied over from the existing 3511 file systems. Copying the files over one file system at a time, with minimal downtime windows, will go on forever.

BTW, I have printed out hundreds of pages of 10g installation and migration docs, and I am still wading through all of it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Re: Upgrade 9iR2 to 10gR2 on different platform [message #272327 is a reply to message #271688] Thu, 04 October 2007 10:26 Go to previous message
girish.rohini
HI

Why not install 10g software on separate mount point.. other root (where 9i is already present & less space is left).

Do upgrade on this locale itself & then migrate on another server.. there.. install 10g, create fresh database & use 10g feature of transportable tablespace across platforms to transfer data from existent server to this new server.

--Girish
Previous Topic: MIGRATION FAIL
Next Topic: sys and system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 18:46:06 CDT 2024