Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » best place to put archive logs  () 1 Vote
best place to put archive logs [message #226334] Fri, 23 March 2007 05:01 Go to next message
meggens
Hi

I want to put some databases (oracle 9 and 10) in archive log mode.
Because I want eveything consitent I don't want to use the flash recovery area of oracle 10 as archive log destination.

All raid sets are raid 10, what is the most standard place to put the archive logs, should I put the somewhere below $ORACLE_HOME, below the directory where the database files reside or perhaps somewhere else?

Regards,
Martin
Re: best place to put archive logs [message #226356 is a reply to message #226334] Fri, 23 March 2007 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
somewhere else.
Preferably in a different mountpoint/disk.
Seperate your /data , /archivelog and your /backup.
Re: best place to put archive logs [message #226399 is a reply to message #226334] Fri, 23 March 2007 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nmacdannald
I really like raid1 the best.
Mahesh Rajendran is right. I like to keep redo logs, archivelogs, data dictionary, data, indexes, and backups seperate. You should also have several control files on different devices.
Re: best place to put archive logs [message #226413 is a reply to message #226334] Fri, 23 March 2007 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meggens
Hi,

Thanks for the input....just one more question.
The raid 10 array consists for example out of 4 disks (2 mirrored stripes) so I only have one device what sence does it make to put the different files in different directories?

Regards,
Martin
Re: best place to put archive logs [message #226440 is a reply to message #226334] Fri, 23 March 2007 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nmacdannald
None if you can not control which device the o/s keeps things on. The basic idea is to physically seperate these database components, but you can't do that. If you trust your raid10 (don't put your resume on there) then you only need to create seperate tablespaces (logical entities) for each type of data so it can cooilace/reclame (sp?) at different rates. Then act like your raid10 will save you upon disk failure. Disk failure is the most likely point of database failure.
Data, index, data dictionary, logs, archivelogs, controlfiles and flash should all be in seperate tablespaces and the Oracle software in a seperate directory even if they are in a raid10 enviroment.
Using raid10 gives up a lot of control, but if it really works you will be okay.
You might have a hot swap disk? Then upon disk failure the new disk kicks in with no down time. Check the logs for disk failure every day.

After putting a database in archivelog mode you should take a full backup.

[Updated on: Fri, 23 March 2007 14:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: best place to put archive logs [message #226527 is a reply to message #226334] Sat, 24 March 2007 12:17 Go to previous message
meggens
Hello everybody,

Thanks, this takes away my doubts. I'll put the archive log, redo logs and control files in different directories..I think this is the most save. I'll also duplex the redo log files and control files into different directories so if somebody by accedent removes a directorie problems are minimized.

Thanks everybody for the replies and suggestions.

Regards,
Martin
Previous Topic: what is the purpose of this ?
Next Topic: segment advisor oracle 10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 01:52:00 CDT 2024