Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » creation of Database
creation of Database [message #210715] Fri, 22 December 2006 00:12 Go to next message
sagi
Embarassed

I am totaly new to oracle Daatabase . I installed oracle 9i and create a database . it working fine. Then again add one more database that also create sucessfully. In the service manage it show 2 oracle service runing. but currently I am able to use only one datavase ie. which i currently created.
Please help me. Also I wanted to know that in the same machine can we use two database .

What is the relation ie. One database and one instance, More database and one instance

Please let know ? As i mentioned I am new to it

Re: creation of Database [message #210735 is a reply to message #210715] Fri, 22 December 2006 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
What is your background? If it is MS Access or similar, perhaps you mixed the "database" term. Did you, perhaps, want to create another user instead of another database?
Re: creation of Database [message #210742 is a reply to message #210735] Fri, 22 December 2006 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sagi
Sir I am using Windows 2003 as OS and Oracle 9i as Database.
When I create a database name XX , it run a service oraxxXX. In the same way i create one more database YY it start run another ervice oraxxYY.
Now I came to know from one of our member by changing the ORACLE_SID Envirnoment variable we can use it. But i still want to know

Can we run tow database XX,YY by using one instance
do we need two differet listner for these database .

Please clarify
Re: creation of Database [message #210884 is a reply to message #210742] Fri, 22 December 2006 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,
One database and one instance, More database and one instance
One Database = One Instance.
I wanted to know that in the same machine can we use two database .
Some Machine ( OS ) yes. you can run more than one database. before using any database first set ORACLE_SID variable or ADD TNS_ENTRY name at log in to database.

cmd>set oracle_sid=<sid>
or
cmd>sqlplus scott/tiger@tns_entry

Can we run tow database XX,YY by using one instance

NO

do we need two differet listner for these database .
NO, you can use one listener to more than more database.

regards
Taj
Re: creation of Database [message #210905 is a reply to message #210884] Sat, 23 December 2006 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sagi
Thank you very much for the clarification

Sir I want to know about the TNS_ENTRY name at log in to database
how we do the entry .

When ever I try to conect my database using Oracle Enterprose manager it give an error TNS protocole adaptor error and not allow to connect the database .

Is the TNS name entry is database name in my case XX or YY

Please clarify and help me

Thanks onece again

Re: creation of Database [message #210906 is a reply to message #210905] Sat, 23 December 2006 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,
tns_entry you can find in tnsnames.ora file.

#tnsnames.ora file.

DB1 =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.100.64)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = deni)
)
)

SQL>conn taj/taj@db1
connected.

TNS protocole adaptor error

Check your oracle database services is start or not.
on command prompt.
cmd>set ORACLE_SID=<SID>
cmd>net start OracleService<sid> <<enter>>

and try to connect

regards
Taj
Re: creation of Database [message #210997 is a reply to message #210906] Sun, 24 December 2006 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sagi
Thank you Sir,

It work
Re: creation of Database [message #210998 is a reply to message #210997] Sun, 24 December 2006 22:13 Go to previous message
Mohammad Taj

You're Welcome !!!
Previous Topic: databasestatus -metric collection error- in Oracle OEM RAC
Next Topic: ORA-12505 TNS:Listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:43:22 CDT 2024