Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Dropping Tablespace and datafiles
Dropping Tablespace and datafiles [message #206643] Thu, 30 November 2006 23:25 Go to next message
udayakumar123
Hi,

I have few queries about dropping a tablespace.

Environment:
- Oracle 10g.
- Windows.

I have a tablespace, say TS1. I have no objects in it. I have to drop the tablespace, as well as the datafiles. To do it I use

DROP TABLESPACE TS1 INCLUDING CONTENTS AND DATAFILES;

This statement drops the tablespace, but the datafiles are sometimes deleted but sometimes not. I checked in some forums and found that whenever the datafiles are not deleted, the error message is written to the alert log. I checked the alert log and found the following errors:

1) ORA-01265: Unable to delete DATA D:\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.2.0\DB_1\DATABASE\TEMPDATA1\DF_TS1
2) ORA-27056: could not delete file
3) OSD-04024: Unable to delete file.
4) O/S-Error: (OS 32) The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Is there any way to delete the datafile with a single statement?

Thanks,
Udayakumar.
Re: Dropping Tablespace and datafiles [message #206740 is a reply to message #206643] Fri, 01 December 2006 05:32 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Quote:
4) O/S-Error: (OS 32) The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

May be there is some Backup session having a hold.
Or some WINDOWS OS utilities are using the file (like a virus scanner or something like that).
THis is not a temporary tablespace. right?
There are several bugs related to this (on windows platforms) and on readonly tablespaces. Please check metalink.
If you can afford,
take trace of controlfile (backup controlfile to trace). See if this datafile is ***really*** a part of the database still.
DO a clean shutdown and startup.
drop again.

Previous Topic: SGA_MAX_SIZE_
Next Topic: Issue with the ALTER SYSTEM command
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 05:42:27 CDT 2024