Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Upgrading 9.2 to 10.2 without data loss
Upgrading 9.2 to 10.2 without data loss [message #199427] Tue, 24 October 2006 04:15 Go to next message
Uwe
Hi all,

I just have a Question on all who dealed with Oracle Updates.
I get a project to Grade a Database up from 9i to 10 g without losng data in a 24/7 Environment.
The Database switches from WIN2000 to Win2000/Virtual Machine.
After INstalling and configuring the client wishes a so called online-switch without downtime.
Will this be possible ?
I guess we need to get the DB over and get the last archive logs to be inoked. But this will cost al teast a downtime.

Wil it bring more benefit to grade up the 9i to 10g and perform the switch to the new box later ?

Thanks in advance
Uwe
Re: Upgrading 9.2 to 10.2 without data loss [message #199429 is a reply to message #199427] Tue, 24 October 2006 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> without losng data in a 24/7 Environment
Why are you expecting to loose data? Smile
You need a downtime anyhow. You can minimize it. But still, you need a downtime.
Actualy, I would not worry about downtime. But without even testing anything
how can we guarantee that the database will work the same in 10g as before?
>>Wil it bring more benefit to grade up the 9i to 10g and perform the switch to the new box later ?
Might help. But you NEED to shutdown the database to move the datafiles.
One option is possible if you are using something like EMC storage.
You can move the underlying storage ONLINE. We recently did a 2.6 terabyte migration from a cx600 to cx400. Everything was done online. I think you "client" is talking about this.
Re: Upgrading 9.2 to 10.2 without data loss [message #199443 is a reply to message #199429] Tue, 24 October 2006 05:57 Go to previous message
Uwe
Thanks Mahesh,

thats exactly what I thought. It was to make it surely for me that I will need a downtime.
I have to talk to the customer about how long it will be possible and when, but I guess it will be nightimes on weekends *lol*.
Than I guess I will install the 10g first and export / import the data afterwards.
That makes it more safe for me to keep the data and the DB on 9i in case of any problems afterwards.
I also will suggest that we need to test a switch before with a test environment, to be sure that everything will work perfectly under 10g.
I don't know if they're working with a SAN on this. The DB seems to have around 10 GB (not that much). So I will perform an time schedule and will wait what they're doing.
regards
Uwe

[Updated on: Tue, 24 October 2006 05:59]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: ORA-03113 on 10g (10.2.0.2) - worked fine on 9.2.0.7
Next Topic: Automatic Shared Memory Management
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 05:34:51 CDT 2024