Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Installing OMS
Installing OMS [message #199391] Mon, 23 October 2006 23:13 Go to next message
n_de_fontenay
Good morning,

My database is Oracle 10.2.0.2 on windows 2003.

I'm currently working on a stand by database project.
I had no difficulty creating a stand by database from the command line using RMAN and then Data guard manager.

However, I would need to get the graphical interface of OMS to manage the databases.

I currently don't have the dataguard screen when I start Oracle Enterprise Manager. I know that I need to have OMS installed, but I'm very confused with the documentation right now.

I have not been able to find anything explaining how to install OMS. It seems to me sometimes that OMS and OEM are synonyms too (depending of the documentation)...

My problem is that I need to find this Dataguard screen up and working and try to perform a stand by database from that interface.

Some help on how to do that would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Nicolas
Re: Installing OMS [message #199428 is a reply to message #199391] Tue, 24 October 2006 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I understand. It is a little confusing around with the OEM. Too many terms Smile.
>> It seems to me sometimes that OMS and OEM are synonyms too (depending of the documentation)
Nope.
OMS is Oracle Managment server, a central repository along with a repository database.
OEM is just a GUI tool that may be standalone (limited functionalities) or can be integrated with OMS for more functionalities.
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b16242/toc.htm
Re: Installing OMS [message #199436 is a reply to message #199428] Tue, 24 October 2006 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
n_de_fontenay
Hi Mahesh,

thanks a lot for your quick answer.

I should be able to configure the OMS by using DBCA or EMCA. Is that right?

I've been trying a lot with these recently on a test environment but couldn't found any option at any time to configure OMS.

I'm pretty sure it is during the time I install OEM that I should configure OMS as well because everytime I'm looking for OMS Installation documents, I was getting OEM installation instead (EMCA, DBCA)

I think that's when the confusion started.

I think I got that document already. I've downloaded everything 10gR2 in pdf. I've used the index to find OMS but couldn't get any hint out of it.

I used both DBCA and EMCA to configure OEM. I got OEM without OMS and dataguard.

Is there an option I'm missing? Is there something specific to install additionally to running emca?

I'm sorry to take your time with this Embarassed .

My best regards,

Nicolas

[Updated on: Tue, 24 October 2006 05:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Installing OMS [message #199438 is a reply to message #199436] Tue, 24 October 2006 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> I should be able to configure the OMS by using DBCA or EMCA. Is that right?
No. EMCA . DBCA is for databases.
I have not worked with OEM/OMS lately. But seems the concepts are staying still.
Use EMCA to create OMS repository and talk to it
configure OEM to listen to the specific nodes/databases you want( play around the OMS tools like emctl to start and stop).
If OMS is not installed, you get OEM as standalone, talking to one database.
Re: Installing OMS [message #199562 is a reply to message #199391] Wed, 25 October 2006 02:02 Go to previous message
n_de_fontenay
Hi,

I've been looking at EMCA options yesterday. It configures OEM very well, but I don't see any options to configure OMS at all.

I'm still stuck here with no clear documentations on how to perform this.

If someone had a clear idea of what tool and/or parameters to use, it would be most welcome.

regards,

Nicolas
Previous Topic: OEM error
Next Topic: Select systime with timezone
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 05:52:09 CDT 2024