Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle on windows
Oracle on windows [message #198087] Sat, 14 October 2006 10:55 Go to next message
pmaora
I am a new dba wannabe...
Installed oracle 10g on WIndows XP pro at home to practice.
I created two databases using DBCA. I have two qns.
1. How to invoke OEM or isqlplus from a browser
when I use url http://workpc:1158/em or http://workpc:5500/em nothing happens.
2. When I do Show instance in sqlplus is says instance "local' and not the instance name I created. Also I can log on to only one database at a time. How do I set up connect descriptors?

Your help is very much appreciated.
Re: Oracle on windows [message #198088 is a reply to message #198087] Sat, 14 October 2006 12:01 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
To start with, set apart the OEM/iSQL*Plus and other fancy GUI/Web interfaces.
If you really want to understand Oracle, I recommend using the command line utility SQL*Plus ( or even ORACLE XE that comes along with HTML DB). It is initially very painful and frustrating to get acquainted with SQL*Plus. But will guarantee a big fat payback.Smile

>>2. When I do Show instance in sqlplus is says instance "local' and not the instance name I created. Also I can log on to only one database at a time. How do I set up connect descriptors?
Two options.
1. get into command prompt
set ORACLE_SID=your_sid.
login as sysdba
2. use tns service entires.
create one listener (or two,one for each) that will listen for both databases. Edit your tnsnames.ora and create the tnsentries.
use
sqlplus user/pass@tnsentry1 ##will connect to database 1 identifed in tnsnames.ora
sqlplus user/pass@tnsentry2 ##will connect to dataabse 2 identified in tnsnames.ora

Search this forum/articles/faq sections and google yourself.
There are plenty of examples around.

Regards~

Previous Topic: Statspack Scheduling
Next Topic: Preventing the trace entries to UDUMP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:49:04 CDT 2024