Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Is it possible to shrink system tablespace
Is it possible to shrink system tablespace [message #189054] Wed, 23 August 2006 00:53 Go to next message
monukoshy
Hi guys..
recently i noticed that my system tablespace has been populated to a great extent. and specifically one of the system managed table table has been populated with lot of rows. I plan to export the contents of that table and import it into another tablespace.. but is it possible to shrink the size of the system tablespace when this is done.?

Regards.
Monu Koshy
Re: Is it possible to shrink system tablespace [message #189058 is a reply to message #189054] Wed, 23 August 2006 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

--> is it possible to shrink the size of the system tablespace ?
Yes, if it has free space then a "alter database datafile ...... resize" will do.

--> I plan to export the contents of that table and import it into another tablespace?

who is the owner of this table? I mean was it created by you, if not then do not play with it.

But if you are sure then you can anytime export/import to a new tablespace.

Read this or this

[Updated on: Wed, 23 August 2006 01:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is it possible to shrink system tablespace [message #189328 is a reply to message #189058] Thu, 24 August 2006 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monukoshy
--> who is the owner of this table? I mean was it created by you, if not then do not play with it.

Hello tarun..
thank you so very much for your advice and help.
Ya i am the owner of the table. so i plan to use the [ schemas=myname ] parameter in the expdp / impdp process.
I guess that is ok.. ??

Again thanks

Monu Koshy
Regards
Re: Is it possible to shrink system tablespace [message #189369 is a reply to message #189328] Thu, 24 August 2006 05:09 Go to previous message
JSI2001
If you want to move a table to a different tablespace use
ALTER TABLE tablename MOVE tablespacename

then rebuild the indexes
Previous Topic: TNS NO LISTNER
Next Topic: TNS:listener could not hand off client connection
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 07:29:27 CDT 2024