Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Perl script and Database Partitioning
Perl script and Database Partitioning [message #188924] Tue, 22 August 2006 08:02 Go to next message
skiskis
Hello,

I am looking for some insight on how to create a Perl script which would allow for automated partitioning of an Oracle 10g database. Presently, partitioning is being done manually and this process is taking quite some time to complete due to the size of the database. Therefore, it was suggested that perhaps creating a Perl script to perform the partitioning would help speed up the process. However, I'm fairly novice with writing Perl scripts for the purposes of Oracle database administration, so any examples or guidance in this respect would be appreciated. In addition, if there is a more efficient way to perform the task of automated partitioning via internal features of the 10g database, I'd like to pursue that route if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Scott.
Re: Perl script and Database Partitioning [message #188927 is a reply to message #188924] Tue, 22 August 2006 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> this process is taking quite some time to complete due to the size of the database.
May be i am misreading you.
How can automating the same job can speedup the process?
You can automate almost everything (with perl or without perl). But it is not going to "speed" up anything.
Re: Perl script and Database Partitioning [message #188933 is a reply to message #188927] Tue, 22 August 2006 08:37 Go to previous message
skiskis
Mahesh Rajendran wrote on Tue, 22 August 2006 09:13

>> this process is taking quite some time to complete due to the size of the database.
May be i am misreading you.
How can automating the same job can speedup the process?
You can automate almost everything (with perl or without perl). But it is not going to "speed" up anything.

You are correct of course Mahesh. I should have used a different description of my issue. Automating the task will not speed up the process of database partitioning, but it will simplify (well, hopefully) the process by not requiring the same amount of user intervention. As I mentioned, the process of database partitioning is being done manually. I'd like to automate this process either via Perl or some other mechanism.

Sorry for any confusion.

Scott.
Previous Topic: Having many users (approx 100-150) using one tablespace
Next Topic: Synchronize database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 07:27:28 CDT 2024