Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » how many dump files
how many dump files [message #186618] Tue, 08 August 2006 15:03 Go to next message
nandac
if you do a backup i think the following are backed up :
1. datafiles
2. control files
3. pfile
4. archive logs

are redo logs backed up?

if archive logs are enabled and a backup is done, how many backup files are created?

if archive logs are not enabled and a backup is done, how many backup files are created?

appreciate the feedback.
Re: how many dump files [message #186622 is a reply to message #186618] Tue, 08 August 2006 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
It depends & is installation dependent.
Re: how many dump files [message #186623 is a reply to message #186618] Tue, 08 August 2006 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nandac
>It depends & is installation dependent

can you explain pls?
Re: how many dump files [message #186642 is a reply to message #186623] Tue, 08 August 2006 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>if you do a backup i think the following
What 'backup' are you talking about?

>>are redo logs backed up?
Conventionally in hotbackup, NO.

>>if archive logs are enabled and a backup is done, how many backup files are created?
>>if archive logs are not enabled and a backup is done, how many backup files are created?

Again, what backup are you talking about?
In rman, i can control files_per_backupset.
Whatever it is, why are you concerned abou tumber of backup files created?

>>can you explain pls?
Please provide specific details.
May be someone can try.
Re: how many dump files [message #186784 is a reply to message #186618] Wed, 09 August 2006 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nandac
sorry if i am not very clear - i'm new to this. so ...

>What 'backup' are you talking about?

in enterprise manager i can see that there's online and offline backup. i think in the latter the instance is shutdown and rebooted.

i tried this.

>>are redo logs backed up?
>Conventionally in hotbackup, NO.

but 'hot backup' do you mean an online backup where the instance is still up and running when the db is backed up?

>>if archive logs are enabled and a backup is done, how many backup files are created?
>>if archive logs are not enabled and a backup is done, how many backup files are created?

>Again, what backup are you talking about?
>In rman, i can control files_per_backupset.

is the above through enterprise manager?

>Whatever it is, why are you concerned abou tumber of backup >files created?

just that i seem to see different sets and number of files in each backup in the backup dir.

and appreciate if you could confirm what is being backed up : the datafiles, the spfile, the control files and archive logs?

appreciate the response.
Re: how many dump files [message #186785 is a reply to message #186784] Wed, 09 August 2006 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> but 'hot backup' do you mean an online backup where the instance is still up and running when the db is backed up?
Yes
>>is the above through enterprise manager?
No. RMAN.
You can configure EM to use RMAN. What are you using?

>>and appreciate if you could confirm what is being backed up : the datafiles, the spfile, the control files and archive logs?
I do not know what kind of backup you are using or how it is configured.
>>and appreciate if you could confirm what is being backed up : the datafiles, the spfile, the control files and archive logs?
Depends. In RMAN you can set spfile, control file to be automatically backed-up.

Start reading the documentation.
Provide specific details.
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/toc.htm
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/toc.htm
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b16242/sizing.htm#CEGBICIG
Re: how many dump files [message #186794 is a reply to message #186618] Wed, 09 August 2006 10:30 Go to previous message
nandac
>You can configure EM to use RMAN. What are you using?

yes i'm doing the backup using EM.

>I do not know what kind of backup you are using or how it is >configured.

i am doing a cold backup.

i've not set any specific configuration for backup.

how do i figure out what is being backed up - viz datafiles, ctrl files etc?

>Depends. In RMAN you can set spfile, control file to be >automatically backed-up.

so i presume if oracle server crashes and you've lost everything and if your dump area is still intact, you can recover the whole instance if you have backups of the datafiles, ctrl files, spfile and archive logs.

is this right?

and in a normal dba backup scenario, do you take a backup of all the above files or only the datafiles/archive logs?

and if archive log is not enabled, can we still do backup? ie if i am not interested in "upto the minute" recovery?

appreciate the feedback.
Previous Topic: Multibyte character error.
Next Topic: Please help me in create oracle data base at 46% with dbca:error display : ora-01503 and ora-32700
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:58:16 CDT 2024