Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » whats catpatch.sql for ???
whats catpatch.sql for ??? [message #176835] Fri, 09 June 2006 22:08 Go to next message
tridentadm
pertaining to 9.2.0.1 version
when i apply patch according to metalink document run the script for patch of 9.2.0.6

using
./patch-directory/runinstaller

i have to select the patch and proceed.

but i am not sure of what catpatch.sql does during patch application.

but its mentioned in post-install step.

can anyone guide me on the same.
Re: whats catpatch.sql for ??? [message #176870 is a reply to message #176835] Sat, 10 June 2006 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
As it indicates in the catpatch.sql script itself:

Rem DESCRIPTION
Rem This script encapsulates the "post install" steps necessary
Rem to migrate the dictionary to the new patchset version.
Rem It runs the new patchset versions of catalog.sql and catproc.sql
Rem and calls the component patch scripts.
Rem
Re: whats catpatch.sql for ??? [message #176872 is a reply to message #176870] Sat, 10 June 2006 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tridentadm
so is this a cumpolsorry part of patch installation ???

and is this different from the migration method ??

in patch application document it mentions

startup migrate
@catpatch.sql

Re: whats catpatch.sql for ??? [message #176898 is a reply to message #176872] Sun, 11 June 2006 10:21 Go to previous message
ebrian
Whether it's mandatory or not may depend on the patch. If the patch's readme indicates it's needed, you definitely need to run it after patching the binaries.

In the case of patching, don't let the STARTUP MIGRATE command mislead you.

Per Metalink:

STARTUP MIGRATE was introduced in 9.2 as a mechanism to be sure that most everything that needs to be done to run an upgrade script or a patch script is done automatically. In the past, customers were expected to adjust certain initialization parameters prior to beginning an upgrade or applying a a patch, but most of this is now done automatically by STARTUP MIGRATE.

STARTUP MIGRATE should only be used when a database instance is being migrated to a different version or when a patch is being applied. Further, once the migration or patch has been successfully applied, the instance should be shutdown and restarted in normal mode.
Previous Topic: creating one more database.
Next Topic: Upgrade from Oracle 9i R2 to Oracle 10g R2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 11:39:42 CDT 2024