Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Recovery
Recovery [message #175613] Sat, 03 June 2006 05:53 Go to next message
gajini
Consider the follwing scenario,

A commit checkpoint say ChkPt1,Which updates the datafile,redo log file & control file header with
the current SCN.Suppose if any recovery is required,it'll happen upto this SCN value.

After some point of time,another Checkpoint(say ChkPt2) is issued manually,now all the uncommited
data is written to the files in the disk & updates the datafile,redo log file & control file header
with the current SCN.

Suppose if now recovery is required,

1) Will oracle recover to SCN recorded at ChkPt1 or to SCN recorded at ChkPt2?
2) If it've to recover to SCN recorded at ChkPt1,where it'll get that info,since
datafile,redo log & control file headers are updated with the SCN value occurred
at ChkPt2?
3) In this scenario,what will be the role of rollback segment,how & what info it provides
required for this scenario?

I'm very much confused by this scenario/doubt for a long time,please anyone clear it.
Re: Recovery [message #175632 is a reply to message #175613] Sat, 03 June 2006 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
RTFM found at http://tahiti.oracle.com - specifically the Concepts Manual
Re: Recovery [message #175900 is a reply to message #175613] Mon, 05 June 2006 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gajini
I referred the document,but about my doubt is not given,
if know,please explain it to me.
Re: Recovery [message #176062 is a reply to message #175613] Tue, 06 June 2006 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
In this case, I would agree that you really need to spend some time reading about oracle backup and recovery. Oracle has excellent documentation about it, the backup and recovery concepts and guides. You need to understand the concepts first before you start understanding specific scenarios.
Re: Recovery [message #176076 is a reply to message #175613] Tue, 06 June 2006 18:07 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
From my perspective COMMIT <==> new SCN.
After a OS/Oracle crash (unclean termination), Oracle will "recover" to the highest/most recent SCN.
In other words it will present data as though the highest SCN was just COMMITed after starting database.
Media recovery is a totally different situation.
Previous Topic: How does Oracle allocate a new extent ?
Next Topic: ORA-01503:CREATE CONTROLFiLE failed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 11:30:52 CDT 2024