Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Database slow down
Database slow down [message #174515] Mon, 29 May 2006 07:43 Go to next message
milind_sri
Hi Gurus,

I have a typical problem. My database works fine in the morning but slows down as the day goes on. I dont understande the reason for this. Developers complain that the database becomes very slow late in the night. I dont know how to solve this problem. Can you please suggest that what are the major areas that must be causing this problem.

Please provide your suggestions as soon as possible.

DB version:- Oracle 9.2.0.5

Day before yesterday in order to resolve this i dropped and re-create the temp tablespace which resolved the problem. But, today again we faced the same problem even when temp tablespace was not at all used.

Waiting for your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Milind.

Re: Database slow down [message #174527 is a reply to message #174515] Mon, 29 May 2006 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Keep resetting the system clock so that the system always thinks it is morning & the DB runs quickly.
Alternatively let the DB take a nap at lunch time so it is rested in the afternoon.
Re: Database slow down [message #174588 is a reply to message #174515] Mon, 29 May 2006 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
milind_sri
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
I understand that there are many reasons for DB slowdown.
But, i needed help regarding what are the areas that can be considered for diagnosis of the reason.

Your reply was great. Certainly i liked it. But, a forum is designed actually understand the problem and not to humiliate people. I am a member of this site since last 2 to 3 years and nobody has replied this way. I would suggest the moderator of this site to look into this issue.

i suppose i have to look for any other forum where i can get the help in a proper way.
Re: Database slow down [message #174595 is a reply to message #174588] Tue, 30 May 2006 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
HI

Check for ratios.. the hit ratios in shared pool, & data buffer cache.

Check for wait events.

Take statspack snaps at different times, generate reports using them, & compare them.

Check system statistics... cpu usage, ram usage, disk i/o.

I hope after that you should be able to identify the bottleneck & work on performance of DB.
-Girish
Re: Database slow down [message #174730 is a reply to message #174588] Tue, 30 May 2006 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
@OP
I agree that the lampoon could have been avoided. But, A satire free online forum/community is utopian.
>> I am a member of this site since last 2 to 3 year
And still not asking questions in a proper way?
Did you get to read those stickies?

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/59966/42800/
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/51267/42800/
and
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

>>Day before yesterday in order to resolve this i dropped and re-create the temp tablespace which resolved the problem.
Resolve what?
What made you think temp tablespaces are the problem?
Did you take a statspack/trace or anything measurable? Did you check waitevents? If so, please post them.

With the wealth of information provided, we cannot move further.

>> i suppose i have to look for any other forum where i can get the help in a proper way.
Could you please define 'proper way'?
www.orafaq.com is not a paid service.
The only 'proper way' i know to get a solution to an oracle related problem is to raise a ticket with Oracle support.

Regards~

[Updated on: Tue, 30 May 2006 07:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Database slow down [message #174734 is a reply to message #174595] Tue, 30 May 2006 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
@girish.rohini
>> Check for ratios.. the hit ratios in shared pool, & data buffer cache.
Is that a typo? Smile
I know that you are aware of hit ratios.
Buffer cache hit ratios do mean something. But it is not a measure of performance.
Regards
Re: Database slow down [message #175029 is a reply to message #174734] Wed, 31 May 2006 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
@Mahesh

My motto was to check them & if needed, doing some sizing modifications in SGA on their basis.

--Girish
Re: Database slow down [message #175030 is a reply to message #175029] Wed, 31 May 2006 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/23453/0/
Re: Database slow down [message #175125 is a reply to message #174515] Wed, 31 May 2006 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nmacdannald
Are you seeing signs of RAM Leakage by an application? I do not believe it can not be Oracle processes that leak memory.
I assume you shutdown and startup the database each morning and it works better for awhile?

Is your memory footprint for Oracle so large that it does not fit into real memory.
Your system RAM must have room for the O/S plus Oracle processes and current sessions.
Your disk must contain an O/S plus an Oracle product stack, plus your data, plus your indexes, plus temp tablespace, plus system tablespace, plus archive logs, plus control files, plus logfiles, plus dumps, plus other stuff.

I assume you would never put your data in the system tablespace, or mix it with your indexes?

[Updated on: Wed, 31 May 2006 18:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Database slow down [message #175144 is a reply to message #175125] Thu, 01 June 2006 00:52 Go to previous message
girish.rohini
@mahesh

Yups.. true sir. The eg. cleared my doubts as well.

In fact I too got a good article on some oracle performance myths.

A real good read...
http://www.quest-pipelines.com/newsletter-v3/0302_F.htm

Its about 8i, but I believe, is equally important for 9i as well.

--Girish

Previous Topic: Hide a table from everyone
Next Topic: Database Upgradation from Oracle 9i R1 to 10g R2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 11:26:19 CDT 2024