Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Partition Performance Improvement
icon5.gif  Partition Performance Improvement [message #172339] Tue, 16 May 2006 02:01 Go to next message
rkulasek
Hi

I have the following task assigned to me - wondering if someone here would have ideas ---

We have a table which typically takes in a big number of rows. It is usually one of the biggest tables in our database.
My task is to improve query performance on this table by using partitioning.

The problem is ---> this table doesn't seem to "lend itself" to partitioning. It doesn't have a timestamp column - so range partition is not an option.
List partition also doesn't seem to work - the list can get pretty big.
Now I am left only with Hash partitioning. But when I did some "query timings" test after hash partitioning, I found that the query timings are actually WORSE when compared to the non-partitioned table ! So, hash is also not usable.

Is there anything else I can try ?

Maybe a combination of more than one partition technique? Can that help? Any ideas on this?

Thanks much
Raja
Re: Partition Performance Improvement [message #172492 is a reply to message #172339] Tue, 16 May 2006 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krystian.zieja
Hi,
I would start with asking quite simple question, why you want to “implement partitioning to improve performance”? I think better assignment would be to improve query performance for queries working on this particular table. If you would post your table, sample rows and sample queries maybe we could help you better.

Best Regards
Krystian Zieja / mob
Re: Partition Performance Improvement [message #172910 is a reply to message #172339] Thu, 18 May 2006 10:15 Go to previous message
smartin
I would agree with the above post completely.

Partitioning isn't an always magical make it faster sort of thing.

How many rows / how big is this table?

And I would add that you can do range partition on things that are not dates. For example if you would like to do list partitioning but there are two many individual values, then you can do ranges of them.

But it all depends on how you are querying it and the details of your data...
Previous Topic: DB buffer
Next Topic: Undo Why
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 11:45:34 CDT 2024