Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » handling data's With out down time in production database
handling data's With out down time in production database [message #169790] Fri, 28 April 2006 13:40 Go to next message
gjayasekar
Hi,

i am having a table in my production 9.2.0 database the table name is msg_log - it contain 2 months real time datas(3 GB size)

every month end i am moving the previous 1 month data to development using export / import utility

then i create a new table based on msg_log table with 1 month data. then drop old table. for this activity i am stopping all my weblogic application instance (ie., down time for 1 hour)

after finish this activity i will start all weblogic instance.

here i want to clarify some thing to avoid downtime

1.can i go for range partition for day wise (ie., 60 range partition for 60 days)
2.i heard about this is the best way to avoid the down time .
3.because without downtime i am adding and dropping the partitions.
4.the database i/o is goes to the current day partition only
so i can add partition for future day and drop the old days partitions easily
- is it possible please give me the clear idea

Thanks
jai

Re: handling data's With out down time in production database [message #169793 is a reply to message #169790] Fri, 28 April 2006 13:48 Go to previous message
andrew again
Dropping or swapping an empty partition with a full one could well solve your problem. Serach for "online redefinition" at tahiti.oracle.com
Previous Topic: What is the difference between count(*) and count(1)?
Next Topic: Backing up Oracle 10g Dbase ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 13:41:02 CDT 2024