Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle 8i DB fragmentation
Oracle 8i DB fragmentation [message #164076] Tue, 21 March 2006 12:27 Go to next message
Vamshee
Hi

We have Oracle 8i/Win NT

Currently we came accross some fragmentation issues.

And this are the details of our tables

PCT_INCREASE INITIAL_EXTENT TABLESPACE_NAME
------------ -------------- ------------------------------
50 65536 SYSTEM
50 524288 RBS
0 131072 USERS
0 65536 TEMP
0 32768 TOOLS
0 131072 INDX
0 10485760 CPPP
0 33554432 CPPP_NDX
50 40960 SCRATCH
50 40960 STATSPACK

I have refered to faq's under this site
and found the topic "How does one prevent tablespace fragmentation?"
under http://www.orafaq.com/faqdba.htm#FILERESIZE
where it was suggested to have a PCT increase to either 0 or 100.

Question:
----------------
In our current scenario, would make the PCT values of all tables to 0 will help ?
If yes, what is the ideal way of doing it ?

Please suggest if there is any other way of dealing with fragmentation.

Thanks in Advance
Vamshee
Re: Oracle 8i DB fragmentation [message #164082 is a reply to message #164076] Tue, 21 March 2006 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nmacdannald
I am not sure what 'fragmentation' means. Is it that there are a lot of extents that are not sequentially placed on the disk?

As long as the extents are not too small, I was told that Oracle does not mind having extents in different parts of the physical disk. If you are doing lots of full table scans, then perhaps you want all the extents to be sequentially placed, and have a large multi block read count. If you are doing lots of single row updates, then having extents on multiple parts of a disk is okay.

*I think*
Neil.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 March 2006 12:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle 8i DB fragmentation [message #164083 is a reply to message #164076] Tue, 21 March 2006 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Switch to LMT ( Locally managed tablespaces with uniform extent size)
or
with DMT (Dictionary managed tablespaece) have PCTINCREASE=0 and INITIAl=NEXT
Re: Oracle 8i DB fragmentation [message #164088 is a reply to message #164083] Tue, 21 March 2006 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vamshee
Thanx for ur immediate replies

All our Tablespaces are with DMT with INITIAl=NEXT.

As i placed earlier , 4 TS's are having 50% PCT values (SYSTEM, RBS, SCRATCH, STATSPACK)

I would like to bring them to a PCT increase of 0.
Could you please let me know as how to accomplish that(any syntax or command).
and do i have to shutdown or bounce the DB for that.

Thnx in Advance
Vamshee.
Re: Oracle 8i DB fragmentation [message #164096 is a reply to message #164088] Tue, 21 March 2006 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Before you do anything by yourself or by the advice / hint on any forum I strongly suggest you to look into documentation and understand what you are about to do and its ramifications.

>>As i placed earlier , 4 TS's are having 50% PCT values (SYSTEM, RBS, SCRATCH, STATSPACK)
50% default PCTINCREASE may have been inherited from sql.bsq.
In usual cases, i would not worry about 50% PCTINCREASE in SYSTEM tablespace ( unless you have custom objects inside system tablespace, which is very very bad practice). Why would a tablespace get "fragmented"? If are "deleting" data or "dropping and creating objects" frequently and if extents are not evenly allocated, you may get "holes" in tablespace.
So Unless you are rebuilding your dictionary very frequently or dropping the system objects or have custom objects in system tablespace your dictionary tablespace (system tablespace) stays good (well, in most cases). Anyhow, a PCTINCREASE 0 is good.

I have no idea what SCRATCH tablespace is used for.
The syntax,code examples are as usual available here in documentation

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76956/tspaces.htm#9994

For an RBS you cannot specify pctincrease and it will always default to 0.
quoting the same docset
Quote:

After determining the desired total initial size of a rollback segment and the number of initial extents for the segment, use the following formula to calculate the size of each extent of the rollback segment:

T / n = s

where:

T = total initial rollback segment size, in bytes

n = number of extents initially allocate

s = calculated size, in bytes, of each extent initially allocated

After s is calculated, create the rollback segment and specify the storage parameters INITIAL and NEXT as s, and MINEXTENTS to n. PCTINCREASE cannot be specified for rollback segments and therefore defaults to 0. Also, if the size s of an extent is not an exact multiple of the data block size, it is rounded up to the next multiple.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 March 2006 17:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle 8i DB fragmentation [message #164101 is a reply to message #164096] Tue, 21 March 2006 17:01 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
and to answer your question
Alter tablespace tablespace_name default storage(pctincrease 0);

and before doing this, i would
*read the docset and understand what is happening.
*take backup. every other kind of possible backup.
Previous Topic: Troubleshooting deadlocks
Next Topic: random locks in oracle - no fixed pattern
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 13:40:42 CDT 2024