Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Temporary Tablespace not shrinking automatically after restarting the DB.
Temporary Tablespace not shrinking automatically after restarting the DB. [message #154540] Mon, 09 January 2006 05:55 Go to next message
vikas_verma

I had a Database with 2GB tempfile. It gave me an error that it's unable to extend the temporary segment. I added a new tempfile of 500MB. Within a few min the new file was filled. In process of shrinking the temporary files, I shutdown the DB, and restarted it. But the Tempfiles were still filled to the max. I still don't understand why? Then I attached a new tempfile of 1GB to the Temp Tablespace, but it didn't use the new tempfile. I repeated the restart process again but still the output was same.

1. Both datafiles were filled to the max
2. It didn't use the new (3rd) attached tempfile.

Finally I've created a new tablespace with new Tempfiles, and it's working now. But I'm still confused. Please suggest me with the possibilities. How can i shrink the Temporary Tablespace/Tempfiles.

Thanks & Regards

Vikas Verma
Manager (IT) / Sr. DBA
Hero Cycle Group,
India

Re: Temporary Tablespace not shrinking automatically after restarting the DB. [message #154550 is a reply to message #154540] Mon, 09 January 2006 06:34 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
For us to understand what you did, post a snapshot of what you did along with oracle versions etc.
>> How can i shrink the Temporary Tablespace/Tempfiles.
In most cases, you don't need to.
It is not unusual to see a 99% full temp tablespace. It is the way it works.
Previous Topic: Lang Java Class Not found erro - DBUA utility on unix
Next Topic: size of schema
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 15:32:55 CDT 2024