Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Table Space Organisation - Data Modelling
icon5.gif  Table Space Organisation - Data Modelling [message #150714] Fri, 09 December 2005 04:19 Go to next message
rishipahuja
Hello Everyone,

I am working on a Business Intelligence Systems, and currently I am required to build a Data Model for having best throughput which is easy to maintain and easily expandable.

Requirement goes like this:

We have a group of Sales Consultants working as an oraganisation managing different areas.Across the globe they will use a single central database to showcase their products.

With respesct to creating the tablespace, schemas etc I am a bit perplexed of the way I should approach.

Approach 1.
For each oragnisation we create seperate Tablespace, and each SC of it will have its own schema.

Approach 2.
Everything goes in same Tablespace, oraganisation are divided on basis of Datafiles they will use.This will be done while creating users.

Quite possible there will be more ways to do it.

Please help me to get the best way out or guide me to correct reference where I could refer/consult.

This being the first of this kind of project for me. I wish to be as meticulous as possible.

Thanks in Advance,
Rishi
Re: Table Space Organisation - Data Modelling [message #150740 is a reply to message #150714] Fri, 09 December 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Read about tablespaces and datafiles in Oracle Concepts manual.
I prefer to create multiple tablespaces only for ease of administration ( Not for performance).
If this is a central database, why do you need seperate tablespaces?

>>Everything goes in same Tablespace, oraganisation are divided on basis of Datafiles they will use.This will be done while creating users.

You can create a tablespace and assign a datafile or more,
But you cannot allocate a datafile to an object.
In other words,
( something like this. THis is not the exact syntax)
create tablespace SALES with datafiles (sales_dbf_1,sales_dbf_2...);--possible
create table sales_tables in tablespaces SALES; -- possible.
create table sales_tables in tablespaces SALES in datafile sales_dbf_1; -- not possible

what does all above do with
>> I am required to build a Data Model for having best throughput which is easy to maintain and easily expandable.

If i am not misunderstood, you are supposed look into your schema design, pick the right type of tables/indexes/objects etc and normalization.

Re: Table Space Organisation - Data Modelling [message #150766 is a reply to message #150714] Fri, 09 December 2005 09:29 Go to previous message
smartin
Yep, I like to, in general, have one schema per application, and put one or more schemas in a tablespace. Then spread the datafiles of that tablespace around to different disk io devices. For performance, you should be more concerned with tables and indexes and types of tables and queries etc.
Previous Topic: Change the initial extent size with Locally managed tablespace
Next Topic: SYS password
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 15:25:54 CDT 2024