Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » cannot start Oracle instance
cannot start Oracle instance [message #140517] Tue, 04 October 2005 10:20 Go to next message
mjschwenger
I have a problem with a Ora 10.1.0.4. on Windows 2003 Ent server instance which we cannot connect to.
My colleague tried to modified Oracle's SGA pool to > 5GB (8GB machine) using Oracle's Enterprise Manager. Now he can't get the instance to start correctly. Something more he tried modifying the SPFILEORCL.ORA file in the home\database\ folder, of course, without luck.
Now I have to fix the problem, but I cannot not remote to the machine myself... so I have to lead them on the phone what to do... Fun!
My plan is to create new spfile from init_dbname.ora and to start the instance. Is there a better way?
My main question: What is the reason for Oracle/Windows to shutdown with the memory setting changed? I know it's bad that he tried to do it throught the EM - what problem could that cause? I have told them 1000 times to use command line - I even write all scripts for them...
Any advise is greatly appreciate.
Thanks,mj
Re: cannot start Oracle instance [message #140533 is a reply to message #140517] Tue, 04 October 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
How the spfile was modified? Was it by issuing commands at oracle prompt or someone opened that in notepad & modified the parameters.

Quote:

My plan is to create new spfile from init_dbname.ora and to start the instance.

Yes you need to use this way only, if the spfile is modified by some other way then using oracle commands.

Re: cannot start Oracle instance [message #140679 is a reply to message #140533] Wed, 05 October 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

My advice is for future ,,,, before you change any thing in your spfile, you should create backup of it ... so in case if your database is not started with modified spfile then u can use ur backed up spfile.

In your case first of all try to search the backup of your spfile if it is there, then start your database with that.... otherwise you have to create new spfile from init_dbname.ora and to start the instance.

regards
Always friend sunilkumar
Re: cannot start Oracle instance [message #140705 is a reply to message #140679] Wed, 05 October 2005 05:12 Go to previous message
JSI2001
Remember you can go to the alert log to pick up the values for the p/spfile at the last successfull open, rather than creating from scratch and trying to remember everything that was set.

Jim
Previous Topic: drop the database
Next Topic: Trying to delete a database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 18:17:29 CDT 2024