Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Can we startup the database after file copy from HP to AIX
Can we startup the database after file copy from HP to AIX [message #130062] Thu, 28 July 2005 00:20 Go to next message
ghosh_shibaji
Hello,

I have a Production Oracle database running under version 9.2.0.4 in HP-UX server. Very recently we need to move the database to 9.2.0.4 version under IBM-AIX box. We estimated that export-import takes almost 16 hours, and outage for that prolonged period is not permissible. I would like to know if file copy from HP to AIX will work or not. Will I be able to startup the database in AIX if we do remote copy of datafile, redo logs and control files. Is there any other way around if the latter does not work.

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Shibaji Ghosh
Re: Can we startup the database after file copy from HP to AIX [message #130106 is a reply to message #130062] Thu, 28 July 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oraclejo
Since both are UNIX boxes, it may work, but i am sure that this is not the recommended way, you earlier EXP/IMP is the guaranteed way

ammar sajdi
www.e-ammar.com
Re: Can we startup the database after file copy from HP to AIX [message #130141 is a reply to message #130106] Thu, 28 July 2005 07:34 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
With different operating systems, Export/import is the only way!.
Recently Thomas Day suggested something very exciting ( I have'nt tried it yet. But it SHOULD work). It is a great idea.
His exact wordings ( TO move data between AIX to SUN. The same should work for you too).
Quote:

How about materialized views?

Create your tables on the AIX box and then create materialized views
using those tables to replicate the Sun data.

When everything's up to speed, cut your users off, do one last
refresh, and drop the materialized views on the AIX box. The
underlying tables will remain with their data. Change the entry in
ONAMES and your users start up in the AIX box right where they left
off on the Sun.

It's not quite as simple as that. Spend about 2 months planning it
and rehearse it at least twice.

We used it to migrate an 80G database to AIX. User downtime was 15 minutes.

Previous Topic: Oracle 9i Install on Linux machine
Next Topic: Oracle Management Server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 22:54:20 CDT 2024