Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » alert log file
alert log file [message #129648] Tue, 26 July 2005 02:47 Go to next message
dnvs_praveen

alert log file contain information about database updations. As a dba we need to go through the alert log file for errors. Can i open and read alert log file even if database is online? or i need to copy alert log file and then i can read the copied file only? Oracle keep writing into alert log file whatever changes happening in the database. so what is the proper way to read alert log file on daily basis?

Thanks,
Praveen
Re: alert log file [message #129660 is a reply to message #129648] Tue, 26 July 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
Yes you can open & read alert log even when DB is running & open.
Re: alert log file [message #129717 is a reply to message #129648] Tue, 26 July 2005 06:57 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> so what is the proper way to read alert log file on daily basis
You can just open the alert_log and read it.
In my case i have many databases spread across many machines. If i would need read them manually, everyday, it would be quite a tedious boring task. So i have a custom written script that scans the alert log file every few hours and looks for ORA messages and reports me only if anything unusual found. The rotate log scripts are found all over web / this forum.
Previous Topic: Estimating the disk requirements of a databae
Next Topic: Class not found:DBCreateWizard when running dbassist
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 22:50:17 CDT 2024