Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Error Ora-12545 occuring while connecting to remote database
Error Ora-12545 occuring while connecting to remote database [message #129344] Sun, 24 July 2005 10:21 Go to next message
DynamicLibra

Hi

Can any one please help me out as I m gettin the error ora-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist while connecting remotely to the Oracle 8i 1.7 database.

Problem Picture: Since i have shifted the database to a new server machine the clients are unable to connect to it. But the database is working fine locally.

Steps taken so far:
1) I have made sure that listener service is up and running.
2) Have made sure that the settings for SID, port, and Address are the same in my TNSNAMES.ora and server listener and TNSNAMES.
3) Restarted the listener service.

Very Interestingly, after doing the 3rd step clients happen to connect but after opening a few sessions, or when the database server is rebooted or even if the services window of the server is closed and opened a number of times, the same error message again comes back.

Has it something to do with Dedicated/Shared mode setting of the server?

Thanx
Bilal Zafar
Re: Error Ora-12545 occuring while connecting to remote database [message #129389 is a reply to message #129344] Sun, 24 July 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Achchan
Can you ping that machine with dns and IP address?
icon14.gif  Re: Error Ora-12545 occuring while connecting to remote database [message #129838 is a reply to message #129389] Tue, 26 July 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DynamicLibra

Hi Achchan

Thanx for the help. its done.

But actually the problem was with the installation of the oracle 8i server. As that server machine had previously oracle 9i installed on it. And it couldn't have been cleaned properly.

By the way, after the fresh installation i faced
ORA-01034 ORACLE not available
ORA-27101 Shared memory realm does not exist.

To remove these errors i took following steps
1) Adjusted the parameters like shared_pool_size, loog_pool_size, java_pool_size, db_block_buffers etc in the INIT.ora file

2) IN the SQLNET.ora file
set SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)

And there it is! Up and running oracle 8i server

Thanx
DynamicLibra
Re: Error Ora-12545 occuring while connecting to remote database [message #129933 is a reply to message #129838] Wed, 27 July 2005 06:19 Go to previous message
Achchan
Hi DynamicLibra,
congratulations! And furthermore thanks alot for your comprehensive posts.I think this is the true way to help other ones to avoid that problems.New users should learn from you,although your problem had solved you posted other complete notes.
Great work!
Previous Topic: requirement of disk for a databse in oracle
Next Topic: MarshallingXAException error during Transaction.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 22:52:00 CDT 2024