Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Problem with the installation of oracle 9i
icon9.gif  Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #128375] Mon, 18 July 2005 04:47 Go to next message
satyan_03
hi,

i have a problem with the installation of Oracle 9i for the past 4 days. The first day, my friend installed the 9i. The installation was successful. But he forgot the password wat he gave. So he uninstalled it & again he started installing. but the second time the installation failed. So again he uninstalled the, and he cleared the registers(hope u all know very well). Again third time the installation failed.

On saturday we tried out for the fourth time by clearing all the previous registers. The installation was successful. The DB installation started after giving the password & the user name. But the database installation failed.The DB installation ended at 100%(value which varies from 0 to 100%) and the system hanged out for 3 hours.

Wat should I do now..? I have also installed MICROSOFT .NET 2003, J2EE, JAVA, BORLAND C++ 4.52. My RAM memory is 256MB DDR.

Need ur help. Thanks in advance.

satyan.
Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #128384 is a reply to message #128375] Mon, 18 July 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
Hi

What was the error message that you encountered?

Nevertheless, do check your installation might have got completed. Do try to login into database & check for working of all installed components.

Regds
Girish
Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #128415 is a reply to message #128375] Mon, 18 July 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
First, I agree with ginish, make sure installation is workable before taking time to uninstall and install again. And installation may have been ok but db creation bad, in which case you can create another db.

But, if you do need to reinstall, and this is your only oracle product on your machine, you have to make sure that you delete every single registry entry. Some of them will try to hide with names like "orcl" and "ora" (in addition to "oracle") but search for all of those and delete everything oracle related. Then make sure to delete all program file files on hard drive, oracle folder and any others. And the temp folder on your pc, clear it out completely as oracle installation stores stuff there as well. Literally must be very thorough in your deletion. Only then attempt the reinstall.
Regarding the deletion part [message #128523 is a reply to message #128375] Tue, 19 July 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satyan_03
hi,

I have done the following thing after the uninstallation. I jus opened registers window, there I found a Oracle folder. I jus right clicked it and deleted. As you people said, I have to check for the folders named ora, orac..etc.. But I didnt checked the temp folder in the C drive.

Also I dont have any backup for the things I have in my PC. So its difficult for me to format the disk.

Can you jus tell how much time it will take for the DB installation..?

If possible, you jus tell me how to install..ie from the first step for installing the enterprise edition.

waiting for ur reply.

satyan.
Re: Regarding the deletion part [message #128529 is a reply to message #128523] Tue, 19 July 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
Hi

DB installtion do takes up ard 40-45 mins under normal circumstances (my observations on win xp 256mb ram p4 2.4 ghz machine).

As for installation, after removing all oracle components & clearing the registry, you can proceed with it, in the same way as you had carried earlier installations.

Regds
Girish
Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #128553 is a reply to message #128375] Tue, 19 July 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satyan_03
Girish:
After the problems I suffered, I didnt tried out to install the oracle. Probably I will install Oracle tomorrow evening. Before that Please tell me What are all the precautions I have to take to avoid failures.

Waiting for reply.

satyan.

Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #128561 is a reply to message #128375] Tue, 19 July 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Just curious, but is there a reason you are choosing to install 9i over 10g? If you are just starting out with a new system, typically best to go with the latest version. Also 10g installs more easily and the process is faster than on 9i.

It is also a good idea to read the full installation guide for the platform you are choosing. There is a windows guide as part of the standard oracle documentation.
Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #128632 is a reply to message #128375] Tue, 19 July 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satyan_03

Smartin:
I am new to Oracle. Jus now I am learning 9i.Thatsy I prefer to install 9i. I dont have 10g cd's.

Thanks for the reply.

satyan.
Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #128634 is a reply to message #128375] Tue, 19 July 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satyan_03
Smartin quoted:
But, if you do need to reinstall, and this is your only oracle product on your machine, you have to make sure that you delete every single registry entry. Some of them will try to hide with names like "orcl" and "ora" (in addition to "oracle") but search for all of those and delete everything oracle related. Then make sure to delete all program file files on hard drive, oracle folder and any others. And the temp folder on your pc, clear it out completely as oracle installation stores stuff there as well.

As I said earlier, I cleared all the registers as soon as I uninstalled 9i. But today morning I checked the registers for further entries as you quoted. But I found none. And I checked in the C drive. I found the temp folder in C:\Windows\temp and I searched for Ora and Orcl. I found only the Temp folder. Also I found Oracle folder in C drive.

First I deleted the Oracle folder from the C drive.
Next I tried to delete the temp folder. Except one file, the other things are deleted. The file contained the details of my system with extension .syslog. I opened that file in notepad & I found these details. wat should I do now..?

Waiting for ur reply.

satyan.
Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #128646 is a reply to message #128634] Wed, 20 July 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
HI

Try installation now & if any error is encountered, do let us know.

Regds
Girish
Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #128700 is a reply to message #128375] Wed, 20 July 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satyan_03
Girish:
I cannot install now. I am now in my off. Also I dont have net connection in my home.

Thanks for your reply.

satyan.

Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #128751 is a reply to message #128632] Wed, 20 July 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
satyan_03 wrote on Tue, 19 July 2005 22:57

Smartin:
I am new to Oracle. Jus now I am learning 9i.Thatsy I prefer to install 9i. I dont have 10g cd's.

Thanks for the reply.

satyan.

Hmm, can you download the 10g version? Is your internet connection at work or home fast enough? On 10g, it is only one cd to download (3 cds on 9i I think).

But, if you are new and just learning from scratch, you really would be better off in the long run to start learning with 10gR1 rather than 9iR2. Documentation is also better in 10g, and so is the installation process, much faster/easier.

Also, the base version of 10gR1, 10.1.0.2, is much more stable and has many fewer critical bugs in it than the base version of 9iR2 (9.2.0.1) that you would be installing. For this reason, unless you are paying for support and metalink, you are more likely to run into functionality problems, even after you get it installed, on 9i than on 10g.

Also, if you try to install again and run into problems, you need to re-delete everything between each installation attempt. Especially the orainstall files and folders oracle leaves in your temp directory.
Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #128846 is a reply to message #128375] Wed, 20 July 2005 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satyan_03
smartin:
I am working in a small concern. I can access internet only for subject related sites not any other. I dont have net connection in my home.

Anyway thanks for the reply.

satyan.
icon14.gif  Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #129088 is a reply to message #128375] Thu, 21 July 2005 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satyan_03
hi all,
Atlast I finished installing Oracle 9i successfully.. It took almost 2.5 hours. But I have some doubts regarding the installation..

I have given the following things during the installation.

GLOBAL DB NAME : SATYAN
SID : SATYAN

After a few mins, a window opened withe details of the above as

DB NAME : SATYAN
SYSTEM IDENTIFIER : SATYAN.

and some other related informations. It asked to save these informations as HTML file.

Then I gave the following things like,

SYS PASSWORD : ******
CONFIRM PASSWORD : ******
SYSTEM PASSWORD : ******
CONFIRM PASSWORD : ******
SERVICE NAME : SATYAN.

After the installation is over(including DB), I tried to log in the sql Plus.

I gave the user name, password, host string as
satyan, ******, satyan.

But login failed. Again I tried with system, admin, agin login failed.

I got an error message.

SQL EXCEPTION ENCOUNTERED.
REASON : ORA-010170.
LOGIN FAILED INVALID USERNAME/PASSWORD

Then I opened the Enterprise Manager. In that, I found various options & I found a User option. I right clicked that and created a user name with my name, password, host string.

Then the login was success.
Can anyone tell me, why I got these kind of errors.

satyan.

Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #129099 is a reply to message #129088] Fri, 22 July 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
HI

Congrats for success at last!!!!
Hey now since you have got the db installed, I would advise is that you start going through oracle documents now & proceed step-by-step. Get yourself registered at otn.oracle.com & make use of available documentation there.

Error in login was due to this reason:
"satyan" is your database name & not a user in database.
Now from the OEM console since you created a new user, the login was successful with that.

All the best!!!

Girish
Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #129130 is a reply to message #128375] Fri, 22 July 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satyan_03

Girish:

Thanks for the reply. Keep in touch. Can you jus tell me..,
Wat is mean by Abstract data types in Oracle 9i Sql ?

Waiting for ur reply.

Satyan.
icon9.gif  Problem with the login today morning [message #129265 is a reply to message #128375] Fri, 22 July 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satyan_03
hi all,

Today I tried to login, but it failed. The error I got is

ORA-12500:TNS:LISTENER FAILED TO START A DEDICATED SERVER PROCESS.

I dont know wat to do.. Need your support.

Thanks in advance.

Satyan.
Re: Problem with the login today morning [message #129293 is a reply to message #129265] Sat, 23 July 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_ora_12500_listener_process.htm
Re: Problem with the login today morning [message #129319 is a reply to message #129293] Sat, 23 July 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Achchan
Just stop your listener using:
lsnrctl stop
Start your instance(OracleService<your_sid> in windows)....now start listener again:
lsnrctl start (You may use lsnrctl reload but I preffer old method Cool )
If it does not help so make sure you have enough physical memory to instantiate oracle.exe.Set parameters using dbca to use approximately 60% of your whole mem in windows(If it is only database server or nothing server else! )
Also increase the sort_area_size in your pfile.

-Let me know what happens
Problem with the login error [message #129375 is a reply to message #128375] Sun, 24 July 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satyan_03
Achchan:
I traced out the problem. When I start my system, various processes are handled in the task manager. Once those process terminates, Oracle is logging in. I checked out this yesterday night.

Anyway thanks for your reply.

satyan.
Re: Problem with the login error [message #129381 is a reply to message #129375] Sun, 24 July 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Achchan
Pardon me?Do you mean your Oracle services are in automatic start form? Make the start mode manual and then let me know what happens.
BTW I did not understand these,please explain more:
Quote:

various processes are handled in the task manager. Once those process terminates, Oracle is logging in.

Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #129412 is a reply to message #128375] Mon, 25 July 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satyan_03
Achchan:

I dont know whether it is auto start form or not. But I will explain you about the quoye you asked. When I opened the Task Manager, I found some of these processes transfers data like Java 17Mb, Oracle 30Mb, SVGhost 20Mb, Apache 30Mb and many other things. Once some of these things terminates, the Oracle is logging in automatically. It takes exactly 15 minutes.

I dont know any other things. If possible reply.

Satyan.

Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #129413 is a reply to message #128375] Mon, 25 July 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satyan_03
Girish:

Jus now saw your message. Please dont mistake me. Thanks for the reply.

Satyan.
Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #129678 is a reply to message #129413] Tue, 26 July 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Achchan
Hi,
Go to control Panel>Administrative tools>Services
and now look at the services with names begin with Oracle.
Click on services which you do not want to run and choose manual option for them.This way you can start them whenever you want and they do not start automatically.
2 serivices you need to work with database engine of Oracle are :OracleService<your_SID> and Oracle<your_homeName>TNSListener.
For now stop other services such as http Apache server which I do not think you want to use them just now.
You can make all oracle servieces manual and then create a batch file with this content and execute it whenever you want to use oracle:
 net start OracleService<your_SID>
 net start Oracle<your_homeName>TNSListener

-Best wishes
Re: Problem with the installation of oracle 9i [message #129870 is a reply to message #128375] Wed, 27 July 2005 01:38 Go to previous message
satyan_03
Achchan:

Thanks for the reply. Will check out and inform you tomorrow.

Satyan.
Previous Topic: Class not found:DBCreateWizard when running dbassist
Next Topic: IP address - how to find..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 22:48:25 CDT 2024