Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Accessing Oracle DB on windows
Accessing Oracle DB on windows [message #125779] Wed, 29 June 2005 04:02 Go to next message
tarundua

Hi ,

I have a windows XP machine with Oracle 9i on it and a Red hat Linux(32 bit) machine with Oracle 9i on it also. Now i want to access the Oracle database of Linux machine on Windows XP machine. I know how to configure the service and listener. The listener is running on Linux machine and i tried to create a service on Windows XP machine but how to find the host name of Linux machine.

Is it possible to access an Oracle Database of Linux machine on Windows machine. please help me out.
Re: Accessing Oracle DB on windows [message #125785 is a reply to message #125779] Wed, 29 June 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
yes its possible.
U need to install Oracle client on Xp machine for this purpose.
Then configure the tnsnames.ora file on client adding in the SID details of server.
Check for the entries' correctness by using tnsping <service identifier>.
For configuring this u may use hostname/IP of linux machine.
Hostname of linux box can be determined by "hostname" command.
IP can be determioned by "ifconfig -a" command.

Regds
Girish
Re: Accessing Oracle DB on windows [message #125816 is a reply to message #125785] Wed, 29 June 2005 06:39 Go to previous message
tarundua
Thanks it worked.

Actually i did everything last time but the listener was not running n this time i got the problem.

Anyways thanx..
Previous Topic: export problem
Next Topic: Upgrading 8.1.7 to 10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 00:14:48 CDT 2024