Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » extent management
extent management [message #125359] Fri, 24 June 2005 12:29 Go to next message
balavignesh
hai,

i have a doubt.

could u plz state the extent management in 8i and 9i(release 1 and 2) either local or dictionary managed...? in addition to that what type of management is used in system tablespace..in each of version and releases specified..?

bala
Re: extent management [message #125362 is a reply to message #125359] Fri, 24 June 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
This is why the documentation is so helpful. It removes such doubts.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/database10g.html
icon5.gif  Re: extent management [message #130540 is a reply to message #125362] Sun, 31 July 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edcas
hi, i'm havin the same problem too. After readin the doc, i still have doubt in capture the clearer picture of Locally & Dictionary Managed in extent management.

For example, the sentence "You can have dictionary managed tablespaces, which rely on data dictionary tables to track space utilization..." What do the sentence really mean??

Sad
Re: extent management [message #130552 is a reply to message #130540] Mon, 01 August 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
HI

This statement means that all extent allocation related information is kept in data dictionary tables in case of Dictionary managed tablespaces. This means whenever extent allocation/deallocation takes place inside a tablespace these dictionary tables are accessed.

Regds
Girish
Re: extent management [message #130600 is a reply to message #125359] Mon, 01 August 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
edcas, that is a fair question. As Girish mentioned, oracle has to track what space is available in each tablespace. In dictionary managed, this tracking all take place in the system tablespace, where the data dictionary resides. The problem is that this creates a single, database-wide point of contention. The actions of tablespace 1 impact the actions on tablespace 2.

But in locally managed, all of this is tracked at the tablespace (local) level. This means that actions that affect tablespace 1 only affect tablespace 1. Less contention.

Also, locally managed lets you do things like set a fixed, uniform size extent size for the tablespace, which allows you to control fragmentation and allocation issues that can become problems in dictionary managed tablespaces.

Basically, locally managed tablespaces are the way to go, and are the only thing you'll use on later versions. Lots more has been written about this elsewhere, but chapter 3 of the 10g concepts guide talks about it some more, but not too much because by now it is assumed everyone will be locally managed. The 9i concepts guide chapter may discuss it further.

Here is the 10g chapter:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10743/physical.htm#i2006
icon10.gif  Re: extent management [message #130662 is a reply to message #125359] Mon, 01 August 2005 20:40 Go to previous message
edcas
thanks alot smartin & girish, i finally got a better understanding now. TQ TQ Razz
Previous Topic: Duplication of oracle database.
Next Topic: Does Exchanging drop anything?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 22:56:27 CDT 2024