Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » database migration and intermedia
database migration and intermedia [message #124752] Tue, 21 June 2005 04:30 Go to next message
gavin.reid@bakeroiltools
I have not done a migration before and I have been asked to migrate an oracle 8.1.7 database from UNIX to Windows 2000.
Unfortunately there are several applications running from this database, each with its own schema and we want to migrate them one at a time. I have not got access to much documentation on these applications, many of which are developed in house and are not well documented, the original developer having moved on.
I also have the added complication of the existence of the CTXSYS schema which I believe is the Intermedia schema which I have not used intermedia and am unsure of its purpose.

Having looked at my options I believe my best option is to use an export/import procedure for each application schema.

How do I find out which applications are using Intermedia and if any are how do I migrate them?

I will also look at the grants and permissions in the original database and ensure that I mirror each as I migrate each schema.

What else do I need to consider?

Thank you for any help and guidance you can offer,

Gavin
Re: database migration and intermedia [message #124755 is a reply to message #124752] Tue, 21 June 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
HI

First n foremost thing is :

Are your applications compatible with database running on Windows environment?

Do document all changes that'll be required at the application front, once you migrate the database from unix to windows.

As for actual migration of database, export/import is the only viable option.

Regds
Girish
Re: database migration and intermedia [message #124758 is a reply to message #124755] Tue, 21 June 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gavin.reid@bakeroiltools
Thanks Girish,
The main application to be moved is 3rd party and runs on Windows. As for the custom applications, I have the source code so if they do not work I should be able to overcome the issues.
icon14.gif  Re: database migration and intermedia [message #125230 is a reply to message #124752] Thu, 23 June 2005 22:05 Go to previous message
OLarry
AgileInfoSoftware DataAnalyst and AgileInfoSoftware DataStudio are the two powerful tools provide database import, database comparison features. DataStudio can compare two databases and generate migraiton scripts between databases on different platforms or different schema... check it out http://www.agileinfollc.com.

Previous Topic: problem in login to sql
Next Topic: HELP!!! please log_archive_dest_2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 00:15:43 CDT 2024