Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » exp remotely vs. .dmp file drag & drop
exp remotely vs. .dmp file drag & drop [message #124646] Mon, 20 June 2005 14:06 Go to next message
TLegend33
I'm curious, which would be quicker? (Win2K OS)

Taking a full export from a database on a source machine with 1GB/RAM & older processor, then moving that .dmp file to the target machine over the network? (i.e drag & drop)

or...

Creating a value in tnsnames.ora so I can export the source database from the target machine with 8GB/RAM & newer processor?

Would there be any difference in speed between the file drag & drop vs. exporting over the network? (assuming of course all factors are identical for both scenarios)

Thanks!

Re: exp remotely vs. .dmp file drag & drop [message #124660 is a reply to message #124646] Mon, 20 June 2005 16:48 Go to previous message
joy_division
I have found that exporting using a TNS entry, even if the database is on the same machine, can be up to tenfold slower (but always slower) than doing an export with just a username and password.

An ftp of that file, or zipping the file, doing an ftp and then unzipping was much less time for me.

So, I would do the export locally and then copy the file and do not use a TNS entry for the export.
Previous Topic: calculating space for new table?
Next Topic: reformating disk drive containing Data file, Control file, Log file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 02:15:07 CDT 2024