Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » URGENT:-Creating flat files for the tables
URGENT:-Creating flat files for the tables [message #124235] Fri, 17 June 2005 01:29 Go to next message
milind_sri
Hi Gurus,

I need your urgent help. I was assigned with the task of creating flat files. I have followed the way of creating a function in the schema where the table is situated. The function is called by the procedure and the flat file that should be in .csv format was created. I had to modify the UTL_FILE_DIR parameter for that. I tried this on test database and was successful.

But, when i sent this approach to the production DBA's they said they will not allow any modification in init.ora parameters and will not allow any function or procedure to be created for this.

Now, I am stuck and could not think of anything else as they want an approach from me that there should be a single SQL statement that will select for the DB and does not require any modification and will create files in .csv format.

Is there anything or single SQL statement that will create the flat files for the tables specified and will not require any modfication on production DB.

If there is any thing please sent it to me stepwise as soon as possible as this is urgent.

My version is Oracle 9.2.0.5 and OS is AIX UNIX.

Sample table structure:-

Name Null? Type
----------------------------------------- -------- ------------
AFFL_ID NOT NULL NUMBER(18)
AFFL_NAME NOT NULL VARCHAR2(350)
AFFL_NAME_CMPRSD NOT NULL VARCHAR2(350)
RENEWAL_MONTH NUMBER(2)
FISCAL_YEAR_END NUMBER(2)
XSOP_BILLING_PERIOD_CD NOT NULL NUMBER(9)
COMBINE_XSOP_INVOICE NOT NULL CHAR(1)
CREATED_BY NOT NULL VARCHAR2(25)
CREATED_DATE NOT NULL DATE
LAST_MODIFIED_BY NOT NULL VARCHAR2(25)
LAST_MODIFIED_DATE NOT NULL DATE
IS_DELETED NOT NULL CHAR(1)

i am also attatching the sample flat file which i created using the function and the procedure. In this format the .csv has to be created.

Please, help me gurus as i need your urgent help on this.

Thanks

Milind.
Re: URGENT:-Creating flat files for the tables [message #124237 is a reply to message #124235] Fri, 17 June 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
HI

Checked the sample flat file.

Hey, I hv a suggestion.. why dont u use "," as ur column separator or replace "|" with "," in the flat file u r generating.

Probably that should resolve the issue.

Also, if u need to create a number of flat files, why not use some scripting language like perl for doing this.

Regds
Girish
Re: URGENT:-Creating flat files for the tables [message #124243 is a reply to message #124237] Fri, 17 June 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
milind_sri
Hi Girish,

Thanks for your quick response. I think you did not get my point. My problem is not with the seperator. I want an SQL statement or any other way that when fired on production DB on UNIX will create flat files for the tables without modifying any parameter or creating any objects on DB.

If you have any way out of this Kindly suggest.

Thanks

Milind.
Re: URGENT:-Creating flat files for the tables [message #124257 is a reply to message #124243] Fri, 17 June 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
Sir

even this process wont create any object in DB and will not change any parameter. All u r doing is firing a select * statement on the table.

All its gonna do is direct the output into a spooled file.

One more way is to use a anonymous pl/sql block. But that, without saving the file handling function, will amount of large code.
Dont save the procedure in database.

Regds
Girish
Re: URGENT:-Creating flat files for the tables [message #124259 is a reply to message #124257] Fri, 17 June 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
milind_sri
Hi Girish,

Thanks again for your reply.

Can u send me the PL/SQL block if possible.

I will try with the spool file. But, what about the seperator.
Can u give me the SQL statement for the table which i have shown in my first post.

Please, if you can send me.

Thanks

Milind.
Re: URGENT:-Creating flat files for the tables [message #124264 is a reply to message #124259] Fri, 17 June 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
Sri

As for fetching data from table... simple select statement will do.

the flow of PL block will look like this:

Decalation section:
Cursor with select query (containing all fields as required by u)
file handler

Executable block section:
Open cursor
Open file
While data is there in cursor write that in file.
Close ur cursor and file.

For more details on PL/SQL
http://www.orafaq.com/faq/plsql

Regds
Girish

[EDIT]: Small typo
Re: URGENT:-Creating flat files for the tables [message #124310 is a reply to message #124264] Fri, 17 June 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
there is something you must be aware of.
UTL_FILE_DIR is serverside. an pl/sql package can create the file only in the server.
Any other methods (spooling the output etc), can be written in the client side and NOT on the serverside (unless, you call this spooling pl/sql body from the server directly.ie. sqlplus installed in server).
What is your need?

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 08:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: URGENT:-Creating flat files for the tables [message #124390 is a reply to message #124310] Fri, 17 June 2005 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Look also here:
http://asktom.oracle.com/~tkyte/flat/index.html

MHE
Re: URGENT:-Creating flat files for the tables [message #124498 is a reply to message #124390] Sun, 19 June 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OLarry
why not use graphic application... there are tons of these applications out there to do export table content to a flat files...

let me know if you need comparison of these tools..
Re: URGENT:-Creating flat files for the tables [message #124698 is a reply to message #124235] Mon, 20 June 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
milind_sri
Thank you all for your response.

Girish your idea of creating spool files worked for me. Thanks a lot.

Milind.
Re: URGENT:-Creating flat files for the tables [message #124722 is a reply to message #124698] Tue, 21 June 2005 02:33 Go to previous message
girish.rohini
Wow!! tats cool.. finally the issue gets over
Previous Topic: reformating disk drive containing Data file, Control file, Log file
Next Topic: OMS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 02:18:26 CDT 2024