Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Tablespace without datafile
Tablespace without datafile [message #123377] Mon, 13 June 2005 00:58 Go to next message
vivekmenon_k
Is is possible to create a tablespace without datafiles.If I have a tablespace with only one datafile is it possible to drop it.
I am faced with a situation were I have a tablespace with no datafile in it.What could be the reason?

Re: Tablespace without datafile [message #123419 is a reply to message #123377] Mon, 13 June 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
limer

I think is not possible to have a tablespace without datafiles. Maybe you have a nonexistent file (erased by the SO) associated. Is Your database working?.

Re: Tablespace without datafile [message #123432 is a reply to message #123377] Mon, 13 June 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>I am faced with a situation were I have a tablespace with no datafile in it.What could be the reason

query the dictionaries and post the results.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 June 2005 09:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tablespace without datafile [message #123510 is a reply to message #123432] Mon, 13 June 2005 15:51 Go to previous message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

If you have tablespace with no datafile then what is the use of tablespace ....

By the way this is the SQL by which you can see which datafile is attached with your tablespace.

SQL> select FILE_NAME,TABLESPACE_NAME from dba_data_files;

And if you dont have any datafile attached with the tablespace then make that tablespace offline ...Wink
SQL>ALTER TABLESPACE <tablespace name> OFFLINE;

Then create new tablespace with datafile attached with it...

Note:-SYSTEM TABLESPACE CANNOT BE TAKEN OFFLINE.

Previous Topic: oracle 10g
Next Topic: What will happen if i change the IP address of my server on which database reside?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 02:14:13 CDT 2024