Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » OMF benefit???
OMF benefit??? [message #117457] Wed, 27 April 2005 07:34 Go to next message
girish.rohini
Benefits of OMF (As specified on http://www.stanford.edu/dept/itss/docs/oracle/9i/server.920/a96521/omf.htm)

They reduce wasted disk space consumed by obsolete files.

Oracle automatically removes old Oracle-managed files when they are no longer needed. Much disk space is wasted in large systems simply because no one is sure if a particular file is still required. This also simplifies the administrative task of removing files that are no longer required on disk and prevents the mistake of deleting the wrong file.

My query is What are these obsolete files?
Pls do cite some example for these type of files.
Re: OMF benefit??? [message #117493 is a reply to message #117457] Wed, 27 April 2005 09:22 Go to previous message
Michael Hartley

Hi,

On host systems with many databases and a history of databases being added and deleted which happens mostly in development and system testing environments it can often become uncertain which database files are no longer required, especially at sites where there are many dba's and many development teams.

Sure a dba could work through all the databases, starting up and stoping the databases that have been down for a long time. In fact, a typical technique is to start then stop all databases on the system and search for the database files that have an old file modification date. This is relatively easy in an OFA environment, but in non OFA environments with several Oracle homes over several versions and many databases the task can start to become daunting, especially to a dba with only a few years experience.

Then if you start throwing several systems each with different operating systems like windows, unix, linux, vmx, vmware, etc. The whole task can start to be time consuming and potentially error prone.

Managing database files is tedious. I'm still waiting for Oracle to release my favourite ddl commands which are used as follows:

sqlplus /nolog
connect / as sysdba
alter system drop database;
alter system drop configuration;
exit

Kind regards
Michael Hartley
http://www.openfieldsolutions.co.uk
Previous Topic: Oracle Service fails to respond
Next Topic: Java.lang.NullPointerException
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 02:33:40 CDT 2024