Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » index..?
index..? [message #117267] Tue, 26 April 2005 03:16 Go to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi

can any one tell me where exactly index are stored and for which column i have to create index for a table on which FTS take place.

Re: index..? [message #117332 is a reply to message #117267] Tue, 26 April 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Read the oracle performance tuning guide. In it you'll find descriptions of things like explain plan that will tell you how a query is being processed, and ways to determine candidate fields to be indexed. Primary keys and Unique constraints will have indexes to enforce the constraints. You probably will want indexes on all of your foreign keys (or at least that is a reasonable starting point). Full table scans are not always bad, particularly when you are retrieiving and processing large volumes of data. But if you are doing mostly operations where you only need a single row at a time per user action, then an index may prove very helpful. There is an overhead to maintaining updates, inserts, and deletes on fields with indexes, so it is generally a trade off between modifications and reads, and which your particular area of your system needs to optimize at the expense of the other.

Not sure what you mean by where to store them...they go in tablespaces just like everything else?

And I'd like to repeat that I think it would be very helpful for you to do some more reading. Actually the concepts guide might be the best bet for you to start with, just pick it up and read it front to back, or at least read the chapters that cover what you are doing first and read the rest later.
Re: index..? [message #117394 is a reply to message #117332] Wed, 27 April 2005 00:11 Go to previous message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

thank you smartin for your reply i got my answer in your explanation ..

Previous Topic: Oracle9i license query
Next Topic: A problem of ora-03106 and ora-03121, thanks!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 02:33:16 CDT 2024