Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Seeking Bare-bones Oracle Server Admin Basics Guide
Seeking Bare-bones Oracle Server Admin Basics Guide [message #116843] Fri, 22 April 2005 08:55 Go to next message
TonyHoyt
I'm looking for something that talks about the very basic and bare bones of setting up a secure and moderately efficient Oracle Database for general purpose use (Perhaps an oxymoron but, bear with me.)

I don't need to know about every option on every command I could possibly use. I just need to know what's the smart way to set up an Oracle database (On a Unix platform), and the basics of management. Adding users, adding tablespaces, daily/monthly/yearly maintenance, managing temp space, etc.

Something that would lead itself into the more technical manuals in the future with more details but for now, a good resource that has solid workable examples. Is that available? Can someone point me into the right direction? Last time I looked at an Oracle book in Barons and Noble it was too basic, It almost seemed like a book for someone in management who wanted mess around and not something serious.

It doesn't have to be a bound book, could be a popular website with clear broad information or just a popular reference manual. But something that is fairly clear, and user friendly for a starting admin. At the moment, I have a good picture of how to run an oracle database, but I feel like I'm missing the bigger picture and want to start from scratch again.

Tony

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2005 08:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Seeking Bare-bones Oracle Server Admin Basics Guide [message #116847 is a reply to message #116843] Fri, 22 April 2005 09:03 Go to previous message
smartin
First, you should plan on installing the latest version available (10gR1 at the moment). Each new version gets easier to manage (well, that is debatable, but lets just say oracle does more things for you automatically with each new version).

I'd check out the Oracle 2 Day DBA Book that is part of the free oracle documentation. It probably has you use the GUI called OEM to do a lot of things. Oracle also has things called oracle by example that walks you through various operations.

It will also help you tremendously if you read the Oracle Concepts Guide chapters that deal with your enviornment.

Then this fall, after you have had some time in, a guy named Tom Kyte is coming out with the new version of is Oracle Book which should be excellent.
Previous Topic: Could Not Mount the Oracle DB
Next Topic: User, Constraints and tablespaces
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 02:25:26 CDT 2024