Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » [total 4-question] for--->oracleservice+sid <-- can we have to such services for one database.
[total 4-question] for--->oracleservice+sid <-- can we have to such services for one database. [message #114731] Tue, 05 April 2005 06:51 Go to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi

everyone....

A services is a program, routine, or process that performs a specific function within the windows 2000 operating system, you can manage services through the services window. To start a database the service related to database should be started. We can set the property of services as automatic, manual or disable so the services will start accordingly to their set property. By default its is automatic in windows as well as in UNIX.

In windows 2000 we have DB services make it automatic,
service name is like this
ORACLESERVICE+SID.

Oracleservices+sid is the service name in windows NT technology based operating system ...which shoud be started for oracle database and if that is stoped oracle database is stoped...

Now my question is ....
[question-1]can we have 2 such service so that if one is not working, than we can start database with another.?

[question-2]If your answer is yes for question one then give me steps to do that....

[question-3]Is it possible to have service name which dont have sid or in place of sid some other name?

[question-4] Is it possible to change the name of oralceservice by whihc database is starting? and if yes than how?

Note:- Service can be created with Oradim utility

friend

sunil
Re: [total 4-question] for--->oracleservice+sid <-- can we have to such services for one datab [message #114742 is a reply to message #114731] Tue, 05 April 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> By default its is automatic in windows as well as in UNIX.

Not in unix.
You have to make specific arrangements to facilitate this.

[question-1]can we have 2 such service so that if one is not working, than we can start database with another.?
You are getting confused with terms database,instance and service.
An oracle service is a tagholder ( a typical windows terminology)

In a machine,at one point of time, one database can be associated with one instance only.
It is the concept of RAC, where the same database is mounted in 2 or more different machines ( connect by interconnect) having differed SID, are mounted differently and can be administered differently.
If one node goes down ( problem with that particular instance), the other participating nodes still continue to work.
If the database goes down ( say , system tablespace is smoked), all the nodes (instances)goes down.

For the rest read the concepts manual or oracle for windows manaul.

[Updated on: Mon, 02 August 2010 12:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [total 4-question] for--->oracleservice+sid <-- can we have to such services for one datab [message #114760 is a reply to message #114742] Tue, 05 April 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi

mahesh thanks for your reply

but any one tell me ...... can we have two service on same machine for one oralce database and having one oracle instance

thanks

sunil

Re: [total 4-question] for--->oracleservice+sid <-- can we have to such services for one datab [message #114780 is a reply to message #114760] Tue, 05 April 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
you can.
but what is the use?
by a second service you are just having another tagholder for the same instance!.

try it urself.
create more services using oradim.
Re: [total 4-question] for--->oracleservice+sid <-- can we have to such services for one datab [message #114782 is a reply to message #114731] Tue, 05 April 2005 11:27 Go to previous message
smartin
I'd agree I'm not sure the point of having more than one service, even if you could, other than to use up extra server resources and take longer to startup the machine.

Also I'm not sure I'd be comfortable even saying that unix has services. Services are a windows architecture thing. Unix has processes, but I'm thinking even they are different than services.

With regards to your Q3, I would think, but have not tested, that you could call your service anything you want, regardless of whether you put the SID in its name. But why? The default when oracle creates the service for you is to put SID in there so you can identify which service goes with which when you have multiple running on the same server, and this default seems totally reasonable and adequate.

Definitely need to read the entire windows oracle book in the documentation set.
Previous Topic: Oracle 8i 32 bit to Oracle 9i 64 bit
Next Topic: system ts full
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 02:29:43 CDT 2024