Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Hiding Schema Design
Hiding Schema Design [message #112273] Thu, 24 March 2005 01:16 Go to next message
rosicky
Hi

We are currently looking at packaging our software as a off the shelf product. We are trying to protect the underlying database schema design such that the customer will not be able to understand the schema.

I heard that SAP have such a feature? How can i do it to my oracle database?

Cheers
Rosicky
Re: Hiding Schema Design [message #112323 is a reply to message #112273] Thu, 24 March 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
You can hide your pl/sql code by wrapping it.
Anyhow Your schema design will be exposed.
Re: Hiding Schema Design [message #112340 is a reply to message #112273] Thu, 24 March 2005 08:49 Go to previous message
smartin
I think I remember reading that this is possible, but don't remember where I read it. Scour the oracle docs. But for instance, the dbms_ packages have code that is hidden.

You can easily put a layer in front of your physical implementation to "hide" the details for simplicity purposes, using views and what not. But this wouldn't be for security.

One option is to host your appliction on a server and allow users to connect to it and run it. Set up a VPD, and don't actually distribute your database objects and programs.

Also from what I heard about SAP you can actually see the objects. You actually have to install them in a database such as oracle. But there are like 5,000 of them and they are purposely complicated to confuse things.

Also do a search on asktom.oracle.com and see what you come up with.
Previous Topic: Extent allocation problem
Next Topic: Disconnection of our Oracle Server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 02:26:31 CDT 2024