Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » TWO_TASK preventing Oracle instance from restarting
TWO_TASK preventing Oracle instance from restarting [message #64585] Thu, 10 February 2005 14:17 Go to next message
Jeff Langr
Disclaimer: I'm not a DBA, I have only a passing knowledge of Oracle.

I'm working with Oracle version 8.1.7.4.16 under Solaris 8.

We are having problems with getting intermedia to index files under Solaris. This is reported as Oracle/IFS bug 1579125. The workaround says to create a TNS alias, then set TWO_TASK to this alias (the rationale is that the indexing process, which is kicked off by Oracle, needs to go through the listener in order to function properly). I ensured that we had an entry with the tns name ORAIWS in the tnsnames.ora file. I can do a tnsping against oraiws and get a positive response.

Our application, which uses Oracle, was running fine. I modified the .profile and added the lines:

TWO_TASK=oraiws
export TWO_TASK

I also verified that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains what look to be proper values:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/oracle/u01/product/817/lib:/opt/oracle/u01/product/817/ctx/lib

After making the change, I stopped and restarted both the Oracle instance and the listener.

Upon attempting to log in via SQLPlus, I get:

ERROR:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

I presume this means that the database instance hasn't restarted. It doesn't look like all the Oracle processes are there if I do a ps.

If I take out the definition of TWO_TASK from the .profile, all works fine; I can log into the database using SQLPlus.

What am I missing? I searched on "TWO_TASK" and "shared memory realm" and tried any suggestions I found, with no luck.

Many thanks,
Jeff
Re: TWO_TASK preventing Oracle instance from restarting [message #64587 is a reply to message #64585] Thu, 10 February 2005 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Langr
Followup info: I manually attempted the startup steps as they appeared in my /etc/rc2.d oracle instance startup script. I get:

ORA-24314: service handle not initialized

I'm not sure whether or not this information is of any help.

thanks,
Jeff
Re: TWO_TASK preventing Oracle instance from restarting [message #64595 is a reply to message #64587] Fri, 11 February 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Please look into sqlnet.ora
if there are any entries, comment all them.
try again.
Re: TWO_TASK preventing Oracle instance from restarting [message #64597 is a reply to message #64595] Fri, 11 February 2005 14:03 Go to previous message
Jeff Langr
Greetings Mahesh,

Thanks for the response. Didn't seem to work, but I did figure this out.

The oracle install (? or someone's install) apparently sets up two startup scripts, S96dbora and S96lsnrora, that go in /etc/rc2.d. I'm not sure why these are numbered the same, but apparently the Oracle instance is starting before the listener. I renumbered S96dbora to S97dbora. Dumb. Once I ran the commands in the scripts manually, it was pretty obvious what the problem was.

Also, since you're going through the listener, apparently you can't use the internal login to do a startup. I changed the script to login using "sys as sysdba" (after doing a sqlplus /nolog) and it appeared to work fine.

regards,
Jeff
Previous Topic: Creating a database manually
Next Topic: PLS-00905: object DBADM.TABLE1@otherDB is invalid
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 04:28:44 CDT 2024