Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Stored Procedure Synchronization between two area
Stored Procedure Synchronization between two area [message #64282] Sun, 09 January 2005 22:12 Go to next message
Ken
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is any techniques to maintain synchronization between stored procedures in two areas.

Currently I need to figure out a way to achieve this because I am working in multi-developer environment. Rather asking the developers to send me the stored proc name from 'development area', and i ll do the porting to 'testing area'. I hope to get some techniques or maybe some scripts, so that I dont need to ask from the developers for any changes in stored procedures. This is vulnerable to error cos most of the time, the developer will miss out some names.

I hope to get any advice on how to do this.

I am using TOAD as an client here.

thank you
Re: Stored Procedure Synchronization between two area [message #64283 is a reply to message #64282] Sun, 09 January 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Sounds like you need a decent version control system.
You say it's a multi-developer environment. How do these developers prevent overwriting of changes made by another developer ??
Version control systems (at least the good ones) have a possibility to create releases/patches.

hth
Re: Stored Procedure Synchronization between two area [message #64284 is a reply to message #64283] Sun, 09 January 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken
hi there,

can u elaborate more on the version control in stored procedure. is there any tools to do it?

i need to resolve this issue quite urgently.

is there is anymore ideas?

thanks so much

regards
Re: Stored Procedure Synchronization between two area [message #64288 is a reply to message #64284] Mon, 10 January 2005 02:40 Go to previous message
Frank
Version control systems control versions of program-sources, like procedures, tables, views, forms etc.
What it does is like this:
Developer John wants to edit source A.prc
He issues a command to the version control system (VCS) to lock this source. The VCS returns the requested version of the source (say, v 1.3).
Developer Jane wants to edit the same source A.prc and also locks (the same version 1.3 of) the source. The VCS replies that John already owns this source, so Jane has to wait.
When John is finished, he checks in his version of the source, which becomes v 1.4 and releases his lock.
Now Jane is able to lock v 1.4 CONTAINING John's changes (!)

The VCS is able to create a patch containing v1.4 of the source.

This is something that is commonly used (and should be used, one way or another) in software development. Examples are RCS, PVCS, CVS (Google for version control)

Btw, this is not something you install and use easily and on the fly, as you mention this is urgent. This is an essential part of your project's infrastructure and should take some good .

hth
Previous Topic: Add member to a Redolog group.
Next Topic: URGENT - Install Oracle 9i Problems.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 04:27:26 CDT 2024