Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Question about Database Configuration Assistance (on solaris)
Question about Database Configuration Assistance (on solaris) [message #64272] Fri, 07 January 2005 08:50 Go to next message
Jianhua
Hi,

I created a database (SID="testdb") using dbca successfully. However it didn't create the file dbsinittestdb.ora. When I tried to start the new instance, I got an error "file inittestdb.ora not found". (I'm using Oracle 9.2)

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Jianhua
Re: Question about Database Configuration Assistance (on solaris) [message #64274 is a reply to message #64272] Fri, 07 January 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
by default the spfile option would have been made use of.
the copy of init< sid >.ora would be available in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/< sid >/pfile.
if not found,
set ORACLE_SID in your environment.
login as sys
start the database.
recreate the init< sid >.ora from exisiting spfile< sid >.ora
Re: Question about Database Configuration Assistance (on solaris) [message #64275 is a reply to message #64274] Fri, 07 January 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jianhua
Hi Mahesh,

Thanks a lot for your reply - I found the file in sid/pfile directory.

My follow-up question is about the oratab. Now the new instance is added to oratab file with "N" option - meaning it won't be started automatically when system reboots. If I change it to "Y", will it work without dbs/init<sid>.ora file? Last time I did change it to "Y" and rebooted, however the listener had problem starting up with error "no target or host found". It might be random problem related to my DNS. But this time I would like to get your expert advice first.

Thanks again!

Jianhua
Re: Question about Database Configuration Assistance (on solaris) [message #64276 is a reply to message #64275] Fri, 07 January 2005 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
a typical oratab entry would be something like this.
format is
$ORACLE_SID:$ORACLE_HOME:< N|Y >:
LAWD:/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0:N
upg:/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0:Y

so this file is invoked by script $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart and dbshut.
Make sure your dbstart/dbshut is pointing to the right oratab file.

in your case you should be seeing DIFFERENT ORACLE_HOMES.
Let both entries have the third entry as Y ( to let it start).

Now dbstart/dbshut scripts by default will handle only database services.
edit the dbstart/dbshut services and add

lsnrctl < listener_name_for_8i > start
lsnrctl < listener_name_for_9i > start

oratab file now controls the startup/shutdown of both the databases.
SIMILARLy
use a seperate listener.ora in DIFFERENT HOMES
or
same listener.ora in ONE home to handle the listener service for both the databases.

now your dbstart / dbshut can conrol both database and listeners.
But unless you add this dbstart/dbshut to your system init.d routines, the procedure is NOT automated .i.e...you have manual issue a dbstart/dbshut.
Re: Question about Database Configuration Assistance (on solaris) [message #64293 is a reply to message #64276] Mon, 10 January 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jianhua
Hi Mahesh,

Yes, I have a script in /etc/init.d to start/shut db instances using the correct oratab file.

Following is my current oratab file:
*:/apps/oracle/product/9.2.0:N
db1:/apps/oracle/product/9.2.0:Y
db2:/apps/oracle/product/9.2.0:N

db1 is an existing instance and db2 is one I just created. As you can see, I have two instances under the same ORACLE_HOME, this should be okay, right?

Now if I change db2 to "Y", will it start correctly with spfilesdb2.ora? (When DBCA created db2, it didn't generate initdb2.ora.) I'm asking this because I'm wondering whether I need to copy admin/db2/pfile/initdb2.ora file to dbs/initdb2.ora.

Also following is my listener.ora. I'm confused that it doesn't contain any information about db1. Still I'm able to access db1 remotely. db2 entry in this file is added by DBCA, while db1 is created by one of my apps' installation. It's not through DBCA. Could you explain why db1 is not here in listener.ora?
LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = myhost)(PORT = 1521))
)
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
)
)
)

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = /apps/oracle/product/9.2.0)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
(SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = db2.abc.com)
(ORACLE_HOME = /apps/oracle/product/9.2.0)
(SID_NAME = db2)
)
)
Re: Question about Database Configuration Assistance (on solaris) [message #64294 is a reply to message #64293] Mon, 10 January 2005 05:01 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
by default dbstart/dbshut scripts use pfile only.
So you can copy the pfile(initdb2.ora) to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs.
If you want to use the spfile, EDIT the dbstart/dbshut scripts.

this command
 $lsnrctl status 

will show the databases associated with the default listener name LISTENER.
Previous Topic: CLOB and BLOB , pls replyyyyyyyyyyy ,.
Next Topic: unix command
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 04:19:45 CDT 2024