Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » session timeouts with sqlnet.expire_time does not work
session timeouts with sqlnet.expire_time does not work [message #64252] Wed, 05 January 2005 22:53 Go to next message
woop
Hi all,

I set sqlnet.expire_time = 1 in sqlnet.ora of my Oracle 8.1.7 server. Lost sessions are detected after 10 minutes!

1. I start a select for update from pc1.
2. I disconnect pc1 from network
3. I start a select for update from pc2. It waits for lock.
4. Iīm waiting ...
5. After 10 minutes the lock from first session is removed. Step 3 gets the lock.

I expected to wait only for 1 minute due to my configuration of the sqlnet.ora!

(After some trials I restarted server an listener but this didnīt help.)

Bye Wolfram
Re: session timeouts with sqlnet.expire_time does not work [message #64268 is a reply to message #64252] Fri, 07 January 2005 06:13 Go to previous message
billh
Hi Wolfram,

this is a little complex to test. there are several things going on here which you need to be aware of.

1. dead connection detection (DCD) will not kill a session until any active queries for the session have completed.

2. the underlying network protocol, typically TCP, will try the transmission multiple times before giving up and returning a failed response back to sql*net. because of this timeouts of several minutes is common.

3. one way to test whether DCD is functioning properly is to run tests with varying time intervals, some short, some long. Talk to your networking folks about the retry mechanisms and time-out features of your underlying network protocol.

there are much more detailed explainations available on metalink.

happy hunting
Previous Topic: IMP/EXP
Next Topic: installing 8.1.7 next to 9.2.0.4 on SunOs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 04:18:42 CDT 2024