Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Monitoring tools advice
Monitoring tools advice [message #64149] Wed, 22 December 2004 06:11 Go to next message
zinedunc
Hi all,

I'm looking into the possibility of buying (as I doubt there's any good free options) an Oracle Monitoring tool.

Has anyone got any particular recommendations - good or bad? I know a little about Spotlight, but not much else.

FYI - we're using 8.1.6 (upgrading to 9.2 in the near future)

Thanks in advance.

---------------
zinedunc
Re: Monitoring tools advice [message #64151 is a reply to message #64149] Wed, 22 December 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Best option is to implement OEM.
And you know it is a little painful.
ONce it is set properly you will love it.
Sometime back we as a team were managing around 120 databases ( around the globe, different versions) with OEM.

This URL would discuss about a few featured tools.
For a simple environment, you can go for a much simpler tool.

http://orafaq.com/tools/index.htm#DBA
Re: Monitoring tools advice [message #64152 is a reply to message #64151] Wed, 22 December 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zinedunc
Thanks for the tip.

Will review the tools on there and try to talk the bosses into giving me the resources for OEM.

Can OEM trigger notifications - email, SMS etc?

Regards

Duncan
Re: Monitoring tools advice [message #64153 is a reply to message #64152] Wed, 22 December 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
OEM can email.
SMS? i am not sure.
My pager can send/receive emails. It works good.
It beleive, it depends on your requirement.
If you clearly know what you are looking into and if they are fairly simple ( space quota, checking alert_logs, backup failure notices etc etc) you can just use simpler scripting languages and create your own monitoring system ( if you can afford time).
a combination of unix shell,awk,perl is working cool for me. I run my own checks , and accordingly mail / page myself or other users and users are managed manually by different mailinglists.

Actually when effectively used along with tools like freshwater sitescope (Now acquired by mercury) you can even monitor individual hits/individual url stats for website, your hardware etc etc.

Bigbrother is another network monitoring tool ( used to be FREE but now acquired by Quest).
Re: Monitoring tools advice [message #64156 is a reply to message #64153] Wed, 22 December 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zinedunc
Thanks for your time and advice Mahesh.

We do have some shell scripting set up, but probably not enough....

If I'm honest, I was probably looking for the easy way out, but think I need to invest some time installing OEM.

Thanks again
Re: Monitoring tools advice [message #64280 is a reply to message #64149] Sun, 09 January 2005 12:57 Go to previous message
Kees Barneveld
Oraspy
see for info www.dbmotive.com
Previous Topic: installing 8.1.7 next to 9.2.0.4 on SunOs
Next Topic: Add member to a Redolog group.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 04:25:57 CDT 2024