Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Help! ORA-01033 Problem Persisting Despite Best Efforts!
Help! ORA-01033 Problem Persisting Despite Best Efforts! [message #64014] Mon, 06 December 2004 14:10 Go to next message
Eric
HELP!! I've got a big project due this week and my DB is frozen!

I've read the posts re: the "ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress" error and nothing has worked.  I'm running 9i on my laptop (WXP Pro).  The db startup up automatically on sysem startup.  The problem occurred when my system crashed when waking from hibernation.  Ever since I get the error.

I was able to log on as sys and shutdown abort, but when I try to startup again, it mounts and then hangs...apparently unable to open.  I've tried restarting the system during the startups and while it's shut down.

Is it looking for something?  What??

thanks!!

-Eric
Re: Help! ORA-01033 Problem Persisting Despite Best Efforts! [message #64022 is a reply to message #64014] Tue, 07 December 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
goto $ORACLE_BASE/admin/< sid >/bdump
and edit
alert_< sid >.log file.
Post Only the relevant errors at the end of file!.
Re: Help! ORA-01033 Problem Persisting Despite Best Efforts! [message #64027 is a reply to message #64022] Tue, 07 December 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric
Thanks for your reply!

The error is:

RECOVERY OF THREAD 1 STUCK AT BLOCK 137 OF FILE 2
ORA-1172 signalled during: alter database open...

I've read that the remedy is to try to recover the file. I'm trying that but it's hung again. The db is one I've been using for a class, so I have no backup. The data, itself, is not so import as just being able open the db to rerun my create_schema script. How can I get past this, even if I have to delete the datafile?

Thanks so much Mahesh!
-Eric
Re: Help! ORA-01033 Problem Persisting Despite Best Efforts! [message #64030 is a reply to message #64027] Tue, 07 December 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
If you are not worried about the data,
just blow the datafile away.
>>RECOVERY OF THREAD 1 STUCK AT BLOCK 137 OF FILE 2
identify which file needs recovery and bring the concerned tablespace offline and drop it.
Re: Help! ORA-01033 Problem Persisting Despite Best Efforts! [message #152348 is a reply to message #64030] Thu, 22 December 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ldjohnsen
Very new to Oracle...studying SQL intro now...and have almost exact problem (ora-01033) after laptop crashed while restoring from hibernate..."Recovery of thread 1 stuck at block 153 of file 2"...

Don't know how to determine which table is file 2 or how to "bring it online and drop it". Cannot use normal client tools as they give the 01033 error and won't let me log in.

From other forum entry I found...Was able to bring up command line session (Windows 2000 professional) and launch sqlplus like so:

c:>sqlplus /nolog
SQL*PLUS Release 9.2.0.1.0 etc.

SQL>connect / as sydba
Connected.
SQL>shutdown abort
ORACLE instance shutdown.
SQL>startup nomount
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area ...etc

SQL>alter database mount;

Database altered.

SQL>alter database open;

after more than 2 hours...still "hung" here.

Found info in forum about alert<instance>.log and found the recovery error message (above).

Appreciate any help on this. I can probably just re-install Oracle, but thought I would like to learn how to handle this for the time when it happens in production and not in school.

Thank you!
Re: Help! ORA-01033 Problem Persisting Despite Best Efforts! [message #152357 is a reply to message #64014] Thu, 22 December 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Ok this is a Mahesh thing not mine, but he may be busy so...

I think if you do all but the last step, mount the db but don't open it. Then you can do commands in sqlplus. Commands such as dropping the tablespace. Then you can just create a new tablespace to work with.

MYDBA > alter tablespace new_ts offline;

Tablespace altered.

MYDBA > drop tablespace new_ts including contents and datafiles

Tablespace dropped.

Re: Help! ORA-01033 Problem Persisting Despite Best Efforts! [message #152364 is a reply to message #152357] Thu, 22 December 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ldjohnsen
Thank you...I think I can handle that, but sounds like it will delete all the tables (tablespace) and the data.

Is there a way to identify the offending file (recovery stuck at block 153 of FILE 2) and just do the alter/drop on that one table? Or am I "barking up the wrong tree"?

Thank you again. Appreciate the help (and exhilarated from the very speedy response)!
Re: Help! ORA-01033 Problem Persisting Despite Best Efforts! [message #152365 is a reply to message #64014] Thu, 22 December 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Yes, dropping the tablespace will lose all tables indexes etc in that tablespace and its datafiles.

You can look in v$datafile or dba_data_files to find out more about that specific file. But keep in mind that tables go into tablespaces, not (directly) into datafiles. A single tablespace (and a therefore a single table) can span multiple datafiles.

One of the early chapters of the concepts guide walks through all this and it is well worth the time to go through it.

Re: Help! ORA-01033 Problem Persisting Despite Best Efforts! [message #152378 is a reply to message #152365] Thu, 22 December 2005 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ldjohnsen
Appreciate all your help...tried the commands suggested but get the following error: ora-01109 database not open.

I did find some info about v$instance, v$logfile, v$controlfile, and v$datafile and was able to determine (I think) that "...FILE 2..." is a redo file...

e.g.,
select * from v$datafile where file# = 2;

Can't seem to get past this, so I'm thinking about just re-installing Oracle.

Thanks again!
Re: Help! ORA-01033 Problem Persisting Despite Best Efforts! [message #177959 is a reply to message #64022] Sun, 18 June 2006 10:34 Go to previous message
sarav
I received the err. ora01033 oracle initilization and shutdown in progress in win 2000 server

I logged the system / as sysdba and manually given shutdown command
and
issue the
startup command
that disply the database mounted, and database opened successfully

but again the same err. disply to me during the logon

I checked the alert.log file that disply the below information

I received
ora-214 signal during alter database mount exclusive

[Updated on: Sun, 18 June 2006 11:00]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Can't start the listener