Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » re: old_datafiles_deletion_for additional diskspace
re: old_datafiles_deletion_for additional diskspace [message #63358] Tue, 28 September 2004 23:24 Go to next message
jr
hi experts,

my oracle version is 8i and OS is NT4.

at oracle storage manager, we  create datafile for a specified tablespace and when the created datafile near its capacity, we just create again another detafile... unchecked the "auto Extends" of the latter and activate the "auto extends' of the new datafile for that tablespace and leaving  the status online for both datafiles*(is this OK).

as of now one of our tablespace has 7 datafiles. my problem is that if we continue this, we will run out of disk space. Is the old datafile still needed in our database? if not can we delete this datafile? (how?)

pls let me know if you need more info.

thanks,

jr
Re: re: old_datafiles_deletion_for additional diskspace [message #63362 is a reply to message #63358] Wed, 29 September 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

Yes, you need all those data files as they (probably) all contain data. The number of data files is immaterial (at least for this discussion). What is important, is the total space allocated to the tablespace.

Best would be to order new disks well before you run out of space. Alternatively, get the users to archive old/unused data, and reorganize the database to release the space.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: re: old_datafiles_deletion_for additional diskspace [message #63367 is a reply to message #63362] Wed, 29 September 2004 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jr
hi frank,

datas are really important but, in order to have this database running we have to have much disk space..

Is there a way can I just reduce the datafiles?? or shall we say delete some contents of an old datafiles
w/o affecting the system?

thanks,
jr
Re: re: old_datafiles_deletion_for additional diskspace [message #63562 is a reply to message #63358] Fri, 15 October 2004 18:59 Go to previous message
Balaji
hi ,
the best way to retrieve space among the
available disks is to archive the unrequired data to a
seperate database that exists out of this production database .

1. the unrequired data can be identified by those tables and other materialized views that are not used for the OLTP .

2. data that is not required but that which exists in the required tables like transactions too old , thatt which is fit to be in a data ware house rather than a production database .

for both these operations u can export the database otr the user owning the objects ,copy them onto multiple media like tapes, disks etc
then remove the objects/data as suggested earlier from the production database .

NEVER delete any data files .

with best wishes .
balaji
Previous Topic: XML conversion in oracle 8.1.7
Next Topic: create database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 06:26:24 CDT 2024