Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » RAID for indexes vs. tables
RAID for indexes vs. tables [message #63150] Tue, 14 September 2004 12:42 Go to next message
Mike
We have a warehouse which is actually a kludge of dss, warehouse, and some applications schemas with very low oltp.

The previous dba set up all of the data tablespace files on raid 5 and all of the indexes on raid 10 (1+0), except for the local partitioned indexes, which are stored with the table partitions.

In addition, many of the index tablespaces where created with system allocation, and I am slowly creating new index tablespaces with different uniform extent sizes, from small to jumbo depending on the index data. We have a large SAN with terrific throughput and a Sunfire 6800 box with 16 cpus and 8G of Ram.

My question is, what RAID is preferable for the relocated indexes?

Should I put them on RAID 5 like the data or keep them on raid 10? Most of the tables have few updates except for the large partitioned tables, which have batch loads at night of varying amounts of rows. My gut feeling is that since there is not a lot of updates to index data other than some of the batch loads, the indexes are better off on raid 5, just in different file systems than the tables. We have ten raid 5 file system totalling about 800g and 4 raid 10 file systems totalling about 400g.

Any and all opinions on this are welcome.
Re: RAID for indexes vs. tables [message #63152 is a reply to message #63150] Tue, 14 September 2004 21:32 Go to previous message
dilip kumar
Hi

since your saying that your database if mainly for DSS

it always recommended to keep your indexes on RAID 10. because in the scenerio you have mentioned that some bulk loading operation has to be done on tables.....frequently so the time for insert operation will be too high even though you are not updating the data,but here bulk loading concept is critical...

if u want to ignore this concept then as you said you can still prefer to RAID 5....

but always set the extent sizes for tablespace properly according to the functionality of the indexes
Previous Topic: Questionable statistics in Exporting
Next Topic: export data from client machine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 08:21:29 CDT 2024