Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Locking occurring when performing SELECT with ORDER BY
Locking occurring when performing SELECT with ORDER BY [message #61994] Wed, 16 June 2004 13:53 Go to next message
Matthew Sedares
Hello,

On two schemas on a particular 8.1.7 DB, my users are getting locked out whenever they run a select statement with an "order by" clause.  This only occurs on two schemas on the database, and there are a total of 8 schemas. 

I have tried recreating indexes, but that did not work.  To verify, I am failing on ALL statements with the ORDER BY statement, not ust the ones which use an index.  In addition I tried reanalyzing statictics on all tables and indexes for the schemas with the issue.  Does anybod have any idea what could be causing this and wehat could be done to repaiur this?

Many, many thanks, to anyone that could help.

Matt
Follow-up in SQL forum. (n/t) [message #61996 is a reply to message #61994] Wed, 16 June 2004 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
n/t
Re: Locking occurring when performing SELECT with ORDER BY [message #62063 is a reply to message #61994] Wed, 23 June 2004 03:52 Go to previous message
holmespp
Are you certain they're locked?

It seems to me more likely that the order by is forcing a sort that needs more space than the memory you've got allocated by the SORT_AREA_SIZE parameter & is therefore using disk, drastically slowing the whole thing
Previous Topic: Instance Recovery and Log Switch for uncommited transaction
Next Topic: Tablespaces, Oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 10:28:39 CDT 2024