Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle and Windows Clusters
Oracle and Windows Clusters [message #61817] Wed, 02 June 2004 06:31 Go to next message
Mike Spangler
What special stuff must I do to gain the benefits of a Windows Cluster with the Oracle. Do I need to use enterprise or add any special clusters stuff to utilize the extra horsepower of the Windows Clustered servers?

I have 0 experience in this area but am looking at what is needed to make this all work.

Regards,

Mike

Re: Oracle and Windows Clusters [message #222540 is a reply to message #61817] Mon, 05 March 2007 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sstellini
Hi Mike,

I was browsing OraFaq and found your post since 2004 about Oracle and Windows Clusters..
I'm sorry that no one answered as I'm also asking the same question these days.. Sad

In fact, we are planning to get 2 Windows servers and configure them as clustered servers (using Veritas Software). I really do not have experience in this area (windows clustering + oracle using it) but from what I can find on OraFaq, people are talking about Real Application Clusters, etc - stuff that comes with Oracle EE..

Our boss wants us to keep minimal expenses, so I'd like to know beforehand (before purchasing the servers that is) if Oracle Standard Edition One will work in this new Windows clustered environment without upgrading to Oracle EE.
We have Oracle Standard Edition One, version 9i actually, the exact version is 9.2.0.6.

Can you share your experience with me, please?!

thank you,
Sonja
Re: Oracle and Windows Clusters [message #227743 is a reply to message #61817] Thu, 29 March 2007 04:40 Go to previous message
glum
If you want to run Oracle in a cluster then you do not need Windows Cluster - Oracle RAC has all the stuff it needs to build its own cluster. The technology in Oracle RAC allows load balancing, failover etc which windows cluster doesnt really give you.

It uses VIP connections and the vip connection for a failed oracle cluster member is picked by another node in the cluster as oracle tells the node to re-arp on behalf of the failed cluster member. This allows TAF (transparent Application Failover) and if your software is coded correctly it can reissue the SQL that was running on the failed node onto the cluster and no loss of service occurs.

Standard Edition (but not Standard Edition One) can be used in a clustered environment so you won't need Enterprise
Previous Topic: Data Archiving
Next Topic: High Water Mark
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 02:00:43 CDT 2024