Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » oracle 9 redo log format
oracle 9 redo log format [message #61777] Wed, 26 May 2004 14:47 Go to next message
Tim
Hi there,

I'm trying to build a service that needs to parse certain operations out of oracle's redo logs. At a high level, I'm trying to detect specific data changes, but without requiring *any* intervention by a DBA/developer. I know I could use triggers, or Streams, or many other different approaches. None of these are have the "transparent" qualities that I'm looking for.

According to Quest's site for their Shareplex prodcut, the redo log format (for 9i at least) is published:

http://www.quest.com/shareplex_architecture/index.asp

Does anyone know where I can find information on the internal format of the redo logs?? In the meantime, I'm piecing together the output from "alter system dump logfile <logfile>" with the actual binary formats, but that process is both tedious, and surely error prone.

Any links or pointers you might have would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

-tim
Re: oracle 9 redo log format [message #61783 is a reply to message #61777] Thu, 27 May 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken Jones
Take a look at the Logminer functionality of the database.
Re: oracle 9 redo log format [message #61786 is a reply to message #61783] Thu, 27 May 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim
Thanks for the suggestion Ken. LogMiner is very close to what I need. BUT...

I am still looking for a transparent and zero/low overhead solution to this problem. What that statement means is that nothing special needs to be setup inside the instance (eg. logminer tables, additional logging, etc), and there will not be a performance penalty imposed on the existing running instance.

I'm still open to alternatives, but reading the redo logs from an external process seems to be the only approach. It's certainly not the easiest path (believe me I know), but it does seem to be the only solution given my requirements.

Does anyone know where I can find good reference materials on the binary format of the redo logs?

thanks in advance
-tim
Re: oracle 9 redo log format [message #63685 is a reply to message #61786] Wed, 27 October 2004 23:31 Go to previous message
ChenHao
Hi TIm,I am looking for the format of redo file.Have you got it?If you have,would you please send me a copy or an url?
Previous Topic: Distribution Tech in 10g
Next Topic: OCI-21560: argument 7 is null, invalid, or out of range
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 06:25:15 CDT 2024