Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Help! DB_BLOCK_SIZE/Import Problem
Help! DB_BLOCK_SIZE/Import Problem [message #61566] Wed, 05 May 2004 10:34 Go to next message
Tony
Ok.  I was trying to do a full import of a database (with db_block_size 8192) export file.  The destination database (new database)  block size is 4096.   Even though I created all the required tablespaces manually before doing the import, the import would fail saying that the block size of the destination tablespace(4096) does not match the block size of  (8192) the source export file.   So it fails to create the tablespaces ( I don't know why it is trying to create the tablespaces first of all when the tablespaces already exists in the destination) and the import fails. 

So I decided to create a new database with db_block_size 8192 instead of 4096.  But the database creation failed saying:

ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed

ORA-0058: DB_BLOCK_SIZE must be 4096 to mount this database (not 8192).

So I'm kinda stuck now.  I'm not sure how to import this file into my new database.

Help Please

Tony

Re: Help! DB_BLOCK_SIZE/Import Problem [message #61573 is a reply to message #61566] Wed, 05 May 2004 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anatol Ciolac
At first - you cannot export/import in databases with different block size. You cannot change the block size after creation. So you must create a new database with block size 8192. To create this database you must to set in you init.ora parameter DB_BLOCK_SIZE=8192.
Re: Help! DB_BLOCK_SIZE/Import Problem [message #61577 is a reply to message #61573] Thu, 06 May 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony
Anatol,
You forgot the remaining part of my first message. I'm not able to create the database with block size 8192!!!!! :

"So I decided to create a new database with db_block_size 8192 instead of 4096. But the database creation failed saying:

ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed

ORA-0058: DB_BLOCK_SIZE must be 4096 to mount this database (not 8192).

So I'm kinda stuck now. I'm not sure how to import this file into my new database.

Help Please

"
Re: Help! DB_BLOCK_SIZE/Import Problem [message #61590 is a reply to message #61577] Thu, 06 May 2004 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anatol Ciolac
Explanation of this error by Oracle that possibly you has write in init.ora DB_BLOCK_SIZE=8192 but use in creation a controlfile, in which are write that blocksize is 4096. Verify that you are write in init.ora DB_BLOCK_SIZE=8192 and also verify all paths, that exist in this file. I think that possibly a parameter control_files indicate to controlfiles of you database with blocksize 4096(if you use a init.ora for new database from this database).
Re: Help! DB_BLOCK_SIZE/Import Problem [message #61633 is a reply to message #61590] Tue, 11 May 2004 22:02 Go to previous message
gugan
Hi,

It is possible to import dump file of 4k blocksize to 8k blocksize and infact this is the only way you could change the database block size, however you can achive the same in oracle 9i where you have facility to create tablespace with multiple block sizes and you can transport those tablespaces to destination database. The problem now you are facing seems to be that you have created the db with 8k blocksize and while importing you have not given the ignore option and i don't know the exact command used for import. Now you can do one thing delete all the controlfile and datafiles in your newly created 8k database this is because we can't say where it went wrong and create new database and tablespaces with 8k blocksize before that make sure you have specified the blocksize in init.ora and re run the import with the following option.

imp sys/password file=test.dmp full=y ignore=y log=test.log

hope it helps you.
Previous Topic: ora-3113 with delete.urgent pls help
Next Topic: TNS error in ORacle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 12:15:56 CDT 2024