Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Shared Server (MTS - Multi-Thread Server) and SQL_TRACE
Shared Server (MTS - Multi-Thread Server) and SQL_TRACE [message #61035] Mon, 22 March 2004 00:31 Go to next message
Patrick Tahiri
Hi,

I red in a book that it's not recommended to attempt using SQL_TRACE with MTS as the output from my sessions queries will be written to many various trace files, as my session migrates from shared server to shared server.

Is, under MTS server settings, the interpretation of SQL_TRACE results nearly impossible?

How then can I check, tune and trace my queries with enough reliability?

Many thanks for your answers,

Patrick Tahiri.
Re: Shared Server (MTS - Multi-Thread Server) and SQL_TRACE [message #61044 is a reply to message #61035] Mon, 22 March 2004 04:43 Go to previous message
Thiru
Patrick,
this is mentioned in my article Sql_tracing

"SQL tracing with Shared Servers:

A word of caution, when trying to locate/analyze trace files generated by sessions connected through shared servers (MTS): since the sql statements issued in the session connected through dispatcher/shared server can be processed by more than one Shared server, the trace information for that session is going to be scattered around in multiple trace files making it almost impossible to identify and analyze them. Also the same trace file will have SQL statements from different sessions, because the processes are shared amongst sessions.

You may want to consider switching those sessions to 'dedicated' servers for the purpose of performance diagnostics temporarily, but again you need to take into account the performance difference between Shared and Dedicated connections (i.e. Shared servers have longer code path than dedicated Servers)."

Its technically "not impossible" , but its really cumbersome.I came across a perl script on some site that helps identifying your session trace info amongst multiple trace files,when using MTS, but I ignored it!

-Thiru
Previous Topic: What is XDB in spfile.ora?
Next Topic: Dictionary tables taking a lot of time
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 14:20:29 CDT 2024