Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Useful quotes to share with developers (11.2.0.2. on Linux)
Useful quotes to share with developers [message #607010] Sat, 01 February 2014 07:06 Go to next message
orausern
Hi Experts,
I have to make a presentation to java developers on SQL Tuning. As part of the content, I am thinking to talk about what the experts talk on this subjet - some thing like a few tips from recognized industry experts. Can you please share if you know of such quotes, that can be shared? For example I have these two:

1) From Tom Kyte , from his 'Effective Oracle by Design' :
If you want a 10 step guide to tuning a query, buy a piece of software. You are not needed in this process...
...the software can tune maybe 1% of the problem queries out there.
...If you want to really be able to tune the other 99% of the queries out there, knowledge of lots of stuff -- physical storage mechanisms (the schema), access paths, how the optimizer works - that's the only way.

2) From Carry Milsap, from one of his white paper:
Performance is a software application feature.
Performance, like any other feature, doesn't just "happen"; it has to be designed and built.
To do performance well, you have to think about it, study it, write extra code for it, test it, and support it.

I was trying to find some such quote from Jonathan Lewis but could not , and may be there are other nice quotes that are worth. I will be thankful if you share such quotes.

Thanks,
Nirav_hyd

[Updated on: Sat, 01 February 2014 07:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Useful quotes to share with developers [message #607055 is a reply to message #607010] Sat, 01 February 2014 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manubatham20

I can help a little bit, you can extract from my ppt Wink

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B08Hdgl-4A4OQmR0ZVF6eTN3SUU/edit?usp=docslist_api

I will suggest display the diagrams, I can recall a triangle diagram which shows, which level we should tune first.

And believe me, below is very good article for java developers to understand tuning.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/issue-archive/2012/12-may/o32asktom-1578049.html

Tuning an application without being able to touch the application is an impossible job. I suggest that you start by rejecting that tuning proposition and realizing that you are almost certainly going to have to touch the application.

Manu

[Updated on: Sat, 01 February 2014 17:47]

Re: Useful quotes to share with developers [message #607066 is a reply to message #607010] Sun, 02 February 2014 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I would ask if anyone uses Statement rather than PreparedStatement. Anyone who says "yes" should be fired.
Re: Useful quotes to share with developers [message #607110 is a reply to message #607066] Mon, 03 February 2014 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manubatham20

I would ask if anyone uses Statement rather than PreparedStatement. Anyone who says "yes" should be fired.

John, I will not dare to attend your presentation then... If you ask these type of difficult questions. Razz

But tell me why 'statement' is there still in Java and playing with the jobs of many people? Shocked

Thanks,
Manu

[Updated on: Mon, 03 February 2014 00:40]

Re: Useful quotes to share with developers [message #607196 is a reply to message #607066] Mon, 03 February 2014 12:33 Go to previous message
orausern
Thank you!!
Previous Topic: I/O Tuning
Next Topic: result cache physical reads 0 on the first execution.What could be the reason
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:57:06 CDT 2024