Home » Open Source » Programming Interfaces » Excel/Oracle ODBC with Nested Tables (MS Excel 2003/2007, Oracle Enterprise 10g, Oracle Client 10g)
Excel/Oracle ODBC with Nested Tables [message #521513] Tue, 30 August 2011 14:10 Go to next message
emoore
I'm attempting to pull data from an Oracle 10g database (Enterprise Ed.) into an Excel Spreadsheet, using the ODBC driver supplied by an Oracle 10g Client installation.

I am able to pull most data that I want this way, however when I try to pull anything from our database that is contained in a nested table (I hate those things), I'm receiving a "General ODBC Error" pop-up from Excel.

I can execute the same query in SQL Plus without error.

Is there a log or trace file in Windows somewhere that might give some clue as to what is causing the error?

Thank you all in advance!
Re: Excel/Oracle ODBC with Nested Tables [message #521545 is a reply to message #521513] Wed, 31 August 2011 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Do you use Oracle or Microsoft ODBC driver?
Post your Oracle version, with 4 decimals.

Post a test case: create table, insert statements and vba code you use, and we can reproduce what you have and find a solution.

Regards
Michel
Re: Excel/Oracle ODBC with Nested Tables [message #521714 is a reply to message #521545] Thu, 01 September 2011 09:01 Go to previous message
emoore
After some more research, I've found that the ODBC does not support Oracle-specific objects such as nested tables. Oracle calls what I'm seeing "expected behavior", and recommended un-nesting the tables to retrieve the data into a view.

Thank you for your help!
Previous Topic: Execute Firebird procedure from Oracle
Next Topic: How to download Oracle JDBC driver JDK 6 update 27 for oracle 11g rel2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:59:24 CDT 2024