Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Accessing a remote database
Accessing a remote database [message #439383] Sat, 16 January 2010 02:19 Go to next message
charuamit
hi friends

i have a remote database.....i want to access some of the tables from that database....actually i want to create a schema with those tables....with auto update facility(means whenever any table in the remote database is updated then automatically in my schema it should be updated)

its very urgent..plz provide my the step by step process

thanks and regards.
Re: Accessing a remote database [message #439384 is a reply to message #439383] Sat, 16 January 2010 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
What is your question?
If it is in your title, then create a database link.
Read the link above and follow the links that are in "See Also" section.

Regards
Michel
Re: Accessing a remote database [message #439387 is a reply to message #439384] Sat, 16 January 2010 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charuamit
I could not open that page

My question is how to create a database link to access some of the tables of a remote database (via synonyms)

i wan to create a schema with only some tables of the remote database not all

thanks and regards
charu
Re: Accessing a remote database [message #439391 is a reply to message #439387] Sat, 16 January 2010 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
It seems that the documentation server is down; will be up, hopefully soon so - check it now and then. (Also, for the future reference, Oracle documentation can be found at http://tahiti.oracle.com. Bookmark it!).

As of your question: Quote:
whenever any table in the remote database is updated then automatically in my schema it should be updated

Perhaps you should also check a materialized view (or an older "snapshot" term, depending on your database version which you didn't mention, I think). Materialized views can be created in a way that when the "source" table changes (i.e. records are inserted, updated, deleted), materialized view on your side reflects those changes as well. You can do that instantly (by refreshing the materialized view on commit (when changes in the source table are committed)) or periodically (similar to a "scheduled" job), on demand ("refresh it RIGHT NOW!") or - never.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 January 2010 02:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Accessing a remote database [message #439392 is a reply to message #439391] Sat, 16 January 2010 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charuamit
thanks

okee tell me one thing...can i create a schema with tables like
create table A as select * from ..

bt i wan auto update facility for all the tables...

can i write a trigger for that ??
Re: Accessing a remote database [message #439394 is a reply to message #439392] Sat, 16 January 2010 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Certainly; if people have managed to get to the Moon, why wouldn't you be able do create a trigger and update your tables? But, in my opinion, that's not the way it should be done.
Re: Accessing a remote database [message #439397 is a reply to message #439391] Sat, 16 January 2010 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charuamit
yaah i know

actually see...we already have a schema with database link to a remote database...
now for some reasons i have to give only 6 tables of that schema to a user.....and that user needs to work on the updated copy of those tables everyday.......

he don wan the full schema as there abt 50 tabels in it...

i m not somehow able to create a database link...and the person who did it before z on leave...so i have to do it...and i tried so many things bt it didnt work

can you please suggest me what to do in the easiest manner

thanks and regards
charu
Re: Accessing a remote database [message #439398 is a reply to message #439387] Sat, 16 January 2010 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I could not open that page

It seems OTN is currently down, retry later or try the alternate address LittleFoot gave.

Quote:
can i write a trigger for that ??

Yes you can write a trigger but a trigger is synchorneous and so if your remote (remote from the original table) is down the original table cannot be updated.
The solution depends on your environment and what you actually want to do.
- synchroneous / asynchroneous
- immediate replication / almost immediate one / deferred one

Regards
Michel
Re: Accessing a remote database [message #439401 is a reply to message #439397] Sat, 16 January 2010 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Please try to post in correct english, for many of us english is not the original language.
Avoid IM speak, make complete sentences.

Regards
Michel
Re: Accessing a remote database [message #439415 is a reply to message #439387] Sat, 16 January 2010 07:52 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
For your information, the site is now up and you can access the provided links.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: TOAD with ORA-12154: Error
Next Topic: oracle connect with sqlserver database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 16:02:29 CDT 2024